Old 03-18-2010   #1
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Durango WW Park

What is going on? Have just heard rummors. How can I get involved to get something going? We have enough drop to have lots more features. I'm getting jealous of BV, Saliva and even Cascade. Not that I am tired of going upriver but...I will go down to smelters today to dink around and get a workout and dream of low water features!Click image for larger version

Name:	Das Beach.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2365

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #2
Durango, Colorado
Nope. Got pushed back atleast 2 years cause they spent all the funding elsewhere... here's an article from the Telegraph today.

The Durango Telegraph - The independent weekly line on Durango and Beyond

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Is anyone planning on attending that council meeting to argue against the curfew? Mandatory PFDs just makes sense and no alcohol is understandable, but I would miss the full moon floats! Unfortunately I'll be working during the meeting.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
When is that meeting? As for the whitewater park, what about fundraising,could that speed it up or improve the project? Anyone have ideas for our generous little town? party fundraiser? or volunteer man hours? Bunches of construction working kayakers in this town.
Fish Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
fish finder...while that is a good idea (fundraising) the way I read it the budget is 2 million, and that is a government figure so I would expect it to be low. Not to discount the fact that DGO doesn't even have an instream diversion permit yet from the Army core of engineers.

As far as construction cohorts we need to find only 2 things...a trackhoe (or two) and a concrete batch plant owned by a dirtbag boater. Highly unlikely unless...

and yes if there is a public forum at the city council it would be best to find out when that is. Also to speak at most council meetings you have to pre-register with the clerks office and get an allotted time. Does anyone know if that is SOP or what is for speaking at DGO council meetings?
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I was told that construction was going to begin in the fall of 2011. I have seen the design, and it seems things are on track for it to happen. My agency had a few minor concerns, but no deal breakers. I don't think that any other group had anything that would prevent it from happening.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #7
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by rivermanryan View Post
I don't think that any other group had anything that would prevent it from happening.
money will prevent it from happening. the city of durango went from phat city to the poor house in less than a year.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #8
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
From what I understand, money is the issue, and this project will require alot of it. The city has the RICD for what that is worth, and the 404 permit should not be difficult to get. Unfortunately, the park can't be built on a shoestring by unemployed kayakers for two reasons. First, to get the perfected water right under the RICD, the in-channel structures have to be constucted by a licensed engineer. Second, at peak flows, the Animas will take out anything that is not anchored really solidly. Remember how much the riverbed changed in 2008?

On the bright side, at least we have a park that still works at high flows.
Corner pocket comes in at 1500
Smelter wave at 1800-2000
Santa Rita comes in at 2500
The Sawmill waves come in at 4000

A rebuilt park with some low water features would really extend the season though...
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010   #9
Durango, Colorado
Another issue is that the RICD stipulates that all future river features must be "permanently" affixed to the riverbed, which is a damn good thing if we're spending 2 mil on it.

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote