Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-23-2010   #1
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Durango Herald Poll on Riparian Trespass / HB-1188

There is a poll on the front page of the Durango Herald online edition that asks:

Do you think rafting companies should be able to touch private property while on rivers?

The Question is obviously framed wrong but get on there and let the boating communities voice be heard. Right now it is 53% no. www.durangoherald.com

Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #2
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
That question is worded terribly with regards to HB1188.

Hell, I'd vote "no" using that context. They shouldn't touch the property, but they sure as hell should be able to FLOAT through it....as we all should.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #3
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Durango is a great place that is totally screwed up by the well-meaning wackos that live there. Environmental and recreation tourism is making it seem more and more like Yosemite. Horse gulch used to be a place for hobos and the occasional college party. Now you head up there on any given day and you see people everywhere. Sailing hawks is just as bad. Same with slime gulch, x rock, East A, the ice climbing, the la platas, hermosa creek, and yes...the animas. Now they're bouncing over and starting to infest the piedra. The wildlife is getting pushed back further and further. Now add in the bridge to nowhere. How's about a little ALP to spice things up? More trophy homes? Golf courses? Wal-mart, Home depot. The quaint town has taken a huge nose dive in the last 20 years. The headline is the least of their worries.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Who wants to touch my private property while on rivers?
Fish Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I dislike non-scientific "instant polls" and I think the question was worded poorly. That said, as a boater who owns some streambed, I absolutely think that anyone boating, be they commercial or private, should have the right to scout and portage in Colorado.

<From a "well-meaning wacko" who lives outside of Durango.>
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
casey is correct. This place is screwed up, over-crowded and nothing like your friends tell you it is. It really sucks to live here, but at least ALP is paying part of my salary.

I think I am going to infest the Salt this weekend with the rest of the Durangatangs. Might be a good weekend for some solitude on the Animas.

rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote