Old 06-01-2006   #11
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006   #12
The guy is clueless and out of his realm, probably not unusual for a reporter. My problem was his content in his May 30th article. Not his miseducation, but his quote from riverfacts. There is no room for that in this situation. I would post it, but it would be disrespectful to Adam's friends & family. It was just tasteless.
I forgive being uninformed, but I can't forgive his article.
I just canceled my subscription.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #13
Remember hate and frustration

The Herald has never been a good paper that is why I do not read it, and they have constent turn over!!!! I never have seen the same reporter at any boating event or other river events????? I am in constant contact with Butch and I will be writing narratives about the creek on his web site to help educate the sheriffs office. They have no plans to regulate and understand that the paddling community knows what they are doing. The paper is another story they are idiots........ Just let it go and at some point they may get it right...
Be safe S ward Call me!!!!
John B
keel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #14
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Junior reporters

I agree that the Herald report was pathetic. The Herald hires "trainee" reporters, often fresh out of journalism school, to learn their chops at this smalltown paper. I read the reporter's defense of his piece, and noted that an editor butchered his work. As a a "recovering journalist," I too am familiar with editors screwing up my work. I am not defending the reporter completely, but clueless editors do play a role in screwups like this.

It is amazing that in a town like Durango, with so many whitewater pros and so many whitewater classics nearby, that the daily newspaper would have no grasp of river ratings. You can bet they won't repeat this mistake. Letters to the editor are a good way to shame them into learning about one of the most important sports in our town.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #15
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I didnt mean for this to turn into hate mail to the herald - but they are definitely implying some people who paddle there dont know what they are getting into and the county has to 'do something' about it. man if you haul a boat up that trail you sure as hell know what you are getting into. more information about the run is never bad so i am not complaining about that - i just dont like the accusatory tone. the first two articles were not bad but this one is an insult.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #16
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Send your comments to Tom Sluis

He's the City Desk Editor, and not a bad guy really....just misinformed...DH gets a lot of stuff wrong all the time, plus they let the DPD dictate to them what they can and cannot print in the paper as far as crime...
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #17
Herald story

The many ignorant replies in this topic show just how much several people on here don't know about how newspapers work nor do they have much tact.

Sure, the Herald printed an incorrect fact about the ratings scale. Shit happens and people -- even journalists -- are falliable. So you run a correction and try to get past it. What's the point of railing on this reporter for a mistake and cybersmearing him?

The Herald wasn't even informed of the kayaker's name for more than 24 hours after the Search and Rescue team got the call that he was missing. Precious little information is available to the media when something of this nature is going down, because the S&R guys are trying to do their jobs of finding him -- not make sure they give every detail about the guy who unfortunately lost his life.

Knowlton wouldn't release his personal information for a day, and he wouldn't give anything else to go on to for a story to explain if the kayaker was or was not an expert and/or knowing what he got into. Ever think that when a S&R is going on in the late evening on Saturday night that information about the kayaker is not available -- and if it was if a reporter is going to call the poor guy's family in their moment of grief to see just how "experienced" he was? If he had done that and reported it, you guys would have found a reason to cybersmear him for being insensitive.

In a perfect world, the media doesn't always get the information exactly when they need it, especially in the wee hours of a Sunday morning. Misinformation happens, and in that case you'd think that adults would kindly let the reporter know what was wrong instead of insulting him and resort to third-grade namecalling.

Contrary to belief, the "DPD" doesn't dictate to media what is printed and what is not. JHChrist, the media isn't easily influenced and has the protection of the First Amendment. What proof is there that this is the truth? None. Thought so. Unless you have verifiable truth, you are spouting incorrect facts in the same way and manner that you are lambasting the reporter and the newspaper for doing.

To show you how ignorant you are -- there isn't a "city desk editor" position at the Herald (I looked it up in the paper in the staff box). And any main editor who does work isn't there on weekends when it's a skeleton staff. I asked them.

So I reiterate my point that while the reporter/editor made some errors in the rating system, consider the timeframe and the delicacy of a situation -- and the fact that you don't know how the business operates before going into your childish rages here online.

I'm embarrassed that you are fellow paddlers. Reading these messages on here and realizing the behavior makes me want to distance myself from the Four Corners boating community. Remember that saying about "...all it takes is one bad apple?"
vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #18
Read the article on May 30th. My problem was not about his poor river rating. It is about his poor choice of content. Read the article, 7th paragraph. Again I am trying not to post it.
I didn't know adam, but I know a lot of people that loved him. If anybody said that following the death of one of my bro's I'd be pissed.

Alright I am done dishing it out & defending why I am doing it. Be embarassed for me.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #19
pnw, Washington
We are childish when we are upset about a horribly miswritten article? Please show off you your skills at understanding the press somewhere else cause frankly you sound full of crap and pompous. Move on, I am sure you have some article to write where you dont check any facts and just rave on about how intelligent you are and we arent.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006   #20
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E

You talk about no time frame to write facts. Nice so just write whatever the hell some clueless person has to say? I could give a shit about the ratings in the article.

What I do care about is the way they made Adam out to be some yahoo that didn't know what he was getting into. You probably haven't had a friend die on the water and I hope you never have one. There are alot of emotions about one of your friends passing on the water. So on your "what are they gonna call his parents" blah fuckin blah defense, along with the other shit you said, I say don't write the article til you know what the hell your writting about. And if you can't figure it out than write about something you can.

I'm sick and embarrased that you are a fellow paddler vor. Fuckin jackass!

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote