Old 10-11-2010   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For the fellow who asked about the roll. This is theory only, never put to practice, but we agreed on a certain side no matter what and a short three count to setup, plus we agreed to let the back person initiate the sweep in case our counts didn't align. I should add that we have paddled a lot together in separate boats and we seem to kind of think the same regarding lines, plus its a run we knew really well. The evening before we took a run down Foxton to see how well we worked together. It felt like we kept doing the right thing in relation to what the other person was doing. We noticed that it's easy to build and carry too much speed by paddling too much. This makes sense since you're packing more weight, a longer waterline, and two paddlers versus one. It would be really fun to take it out on a higher volume run.

And yes, Deepsouth, this would be a sweet cargo boat with a cockpit cover. Take the saw with the long bar and go big game hunting for the big strainers. I've actually thought about that a bit after doing some overnighters with it this summer with non-paddling friends and family. Storage room is an issue for two people, but there's ways around it by either strapping a bag to the outside or towing. That's what I really like about the Duo, sharing the thrill with folks who don't have the requisite skills to navigate on their own. I took my 60 year old mom down Brown's on an overnighter at 4-500 and we towed an inner tube tied to the stern with a drybag in it after running out of room in the hull. She said it was the absolute highlight of her summer. The year before when my folks visited I took her down Upper/Lower Mish & Bridges at I think 2.0 or 2.5? No problems. My wife and I did Brown's another time at like 700-ish and that was awesome because we skyed a boof and surfed some fast green waves that you need a 10+ foot waterline to catch, but once you were on them it was super stable and easy to control. That was also the only trip where I ever rolled, 'ol Toilet Bowl got us. It was like late July though, so we just swam to shore pushing the boat and sat in the 90 degree heat and laughed. We later floated down to the jump rock and tried a roll in the big eddy just off the river left beach. I had her just tuck and I got two tries before running out of air and swimming. A non-paddler instinctively just wants to carp. We got to about the 2:00 position and that was as far as I could get it alone. The boat seems capable of a lot more, but this weekend was the first time I've been in it with someone else who knows how match a sprayskirt to a drytop. Also, I think if you did swim in continuous water, you'd probably kiss your expense plastic toy goodbye. It's just too easy to wrap or give a nasty piton to a 12 foot boat to think it would escape undamaged.

Damn it feels good
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #22
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Loaded the 4 Falls and Deer Creek movies in HD on YouTube...

Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote

bailey, kayaking