Old 07-23-2006   #11
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. We ran it today and my son did great. He didn't swim and it really helped his confidence.

Traffic on the river was pretty high (as you would expect) and a couple, not all, of the guides we encountered acted like they owned the place and I'm just damn glad I don't have to put up with there BS on a regular basis. The rude ones were in some raggedy ass looking grey rafts. Couldn't even catch a name. They seemed to take enjoyment out off running over the top of you and then crowding you into to the rocks. I suppose it's just a big game with them.

All in all it was a great day although I'm not sure I'll take my raft down it again at that low of level. Or on a weekend for that matter.

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #12
Golden, Colorado
sucks about the guides. they don't make dick for money so they have to feel superior in some way. they are usually the same guides that just wrapped their raft in the rapid you just rowed like they wish they could too...

glad your kid had a good day.

bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #13
I know what you mean about all the rafts in Brown's Canyon and how they can run you down. I've bounced off a few rafts in my kayak and been under a raft twice.

But, I'm not that negative on the raft guides. They don't really have the meaneverability to avoid you, especially with a paddle raft. At low flows, their line is pretty precise. And, the boat upstream does have right of way.

I would just as soon have it that way too. In a kayak or IK, I'm more meaneverable than they are. If one of us has to move, I'd rather it be me. And since they have right of way, it kind of should be me who moves. Sometimes I cut it a bit close, and I pay the consequences......

Yea, the traffic there can be bad. But, if you launch late in the afternoon, the canyon is all yours.

Also, most of the guides are pretty cool and professional.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #14
Gnarnia, Colorado
I rowed Brown's a few weeks ago and ran into the same thing: a few shithead commercial raft guides. Most were nice enough and realized that they didn't own the river. However, there were a few that made me want cut some raft tubes. My raft actually got run into four times throughout the day and I can only belive that the hits were intentional. If they weren't, then these were the worst raft guides in the history of the world. If fact, one guy hit me and then said, "that's what you get for pulling out in front of our trip," which I didn't do. There was plenty of room and our private trip and his commercial trip were close but we weren't on top of each other. So why the hit dickhead?? I'm sure his clients thought he was a real class act. Again, most raft guides are great but unfortunately the few dirtbags give many a bad name.
JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #15
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by JBL
I "that's what you get for pulling out in front of our trip," .
christ, what a dick. no need for a knife in the tubes...just have your passengers grab the raft and open up his valves on a couple chambers...
"and that's what you get for being a cum guzzling ,sperm burper..."
bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #16
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
And here all this time I thought I was being a courteous boater by back rowing and giving the crafts in front of me a little room. I guess I should just ramrod through them. Learn something new every day.

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote