Old 04-25-2012   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dubois - Wind River

I have tried searching - so sorry if it's a repeat.

It looks to me like the Wind River about 10 miles upstream from Crowheart and upward - are open to boating. Does this seem correct?

Other than the Fish Canyon section, does anyone have any descriptions?

Has anyone run the East Fork of the Wind (and is this allowable)?

Looking for scenic floats up to III or III+ around Dubois.

suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #2
The stretch between Dubois and Crowheart is open to boating. It's a fun class II-III stretch (when there is enough water). I have run a section that starts just south of Dubois and goes about five miles downstream to a fishing access. This section has three main features that, depending on the amount of water, are easily run down the middle.
The video below has a short clip of the most challenging section which starts at 1:37

From just roadside scouting I would say that there isn't much more for whitewater below this stretch, but it would be a great scenic float. The takeouts are more than likely going to be fishing access points as there is a lot of private land which could be tricky getting access to.

Jerbready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #3
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It's great to see someone other than myself getting on the Wind- I taught myself to paddle on the Dubois town section and have a couple summers of on the waters there. Here's the beta I can share:

The best scenic/whitewater halfday run is from the Kingfisher Rd Bridge (right next to the Longhorn RV park east of Dubois) to South Parker Ranch roadside fishing access. The complete run is 8.92 miles, starts mellow, takes you beneath the 300-400 foot badland cliffs, enters Fish Canyon for class III to III+ action, mellows to scattered pool drop rapids class II+/III- and ends at the fishing access with the best playable ledge hole on the whole river. Paddle a hundred yards past the pulloff of South Parker Ranch access to find the hole.

*Be wary of a river wide irrigation pipe just under the surface entering Fish Canyon. Easy move, Boof it on far river right!

Here's a gauge per me:
3200- continuous fun waves in Fish Canyon
2500- play features start to form in the canyon, one great wave at the
top of the second rapid
1800- great level, small holes and play spots
1200- the takeout hole is starting to come in at South Parker Ranch
1000- holes developed in the canyon
620- Best level in the Canyon- well pronounced rapids, drops, holes, and
decent playspots. Takeout hole is frothy.
575 and below- canyon gets manky and loses flavor

I looked at the East Fork a couple summers ago at unrunnable water level- looks like a great exploratory mission for seasoned paddlers- wood would be an issue and i found a dry rapid with a few sieves...

Here's a pic of the badland cliffs before the start of Fish Canyon
ricoswagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks everyone for the info! Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 05-05-2012   #5
Fort Collins, Colorado
So we ran it Thursday and had a blast. Perfect start to the season (for some of us). I can see why you have fond memories of that stretch!