Old 04-08-2009   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Drytop verses Semidry top for front range

Hi, I am sure this has been covered and I tried searching but could not come up with anything. I moved to Golden last year and got back into boating after taking multiple years off. Last year I wore my wetsuit top from surfing in CA the past few years, but I think I want to upgrade to a good kayak specific top for this season. With that said I am not sure if I should go for a drytop or a semidry. I like the ease and comfort of the semidry, but not sure if I will find myself very cold because of this choice. I will spend most of my time on the front range with the occasional trip to the Glenwood area. Any help or tips would be great. Thanks

mdlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #2
B.F.E., Wyoming
why not get a semi dry and wear your wet suit? if not go with a dry top.

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
Go with a drytop.
I started boating back east and had come out here with a semidry. I was fine for a season, but was irritated getting off the water soaked and colder than my friends with drytops. I couldn't take it anymore so I bought one. Getting a drytop vs a semidry will also be great if you decide to travel to colder rivers. Went to Oregon with a semidry, found out how stupid I was, and had to borrow a drytop.
Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
100% dry top, no question. I too learned to boat in the southeast and got a semi-dry top when I started. When I came out to colorado, I would be soaked and cold at the end of every run. It sucked. What I learned after getting a drytop was that the cold soaking I got sapped my energy much faster than if I was warm and dry. I think a semi-dry top might work fine for rafting or something of that sort, but for kayaking in colorado, or anywhere really, a dry top is much better. People tout the semi-dry as "more comfortable" because it doesn't have a latex gasket on your next. I think this is misleading bordering on BS. I find it much more uncomfortable to be cold and wet that to have a latex gasket. Good drygear will also allow you to paddle comfortably in the shoulder seasons in cooler weather and still be warm.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote