Old 03-18-2008   #1
Cumberland, Rhode Island
Paddling Since: 1998
Drytop neck gasket over trimmed

I bought an nrs plunge drytop and the neck gasket was way too tight at first. I trimmed it a little bit at a time until I could wear it without feeling choked. When I got it in water, I realized that I trimmed too much because it is now very leaky. Is there anything that I can do to fix this?

Bones1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
WOOPS yeah usually i just put a vase in the neck gasket for 2 days and its good never cut your shit.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #3
About the only thing you can do now is have the gasket replaced.
You can do it yourself or have a shop do it the cost ends up being about the same after you figure in the hassle of doing it yourself.

There is nothing wrong with trimming a gasket BUT you need to leave it alittle tight feeling as it will stretch. More than likley that is why you are finding yours to be leaky now cuz you trimmed it to fit.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not hard

Replacing the gasket aint that hard. Just get some aqua seal and a coffee can or a vase. You can actually leave most of the old gasket on the drysuit. Just glue the new gasket onto the old one, per the instructions on the glue, leave it stretched on the coffee can overnight and your good to go.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #5
Ft Collins, Colorado
Yeah, you can put a new gasket on over the old one, but it's more comfortable and neater to pull all the old one off. You can also use a coffee can, but it's a *lot* easier (and you'll get do a better job) to make or borrow a neck gasket "kit". The "kit" has a couple flat templates that you use to clamp the gasket down with spring clamps. It's still early - you should consider just eating the $40 or so for a new neck gasket, put it on now, and forget about it for the season.

Have a look at the picture at:
Dry suit neck gaskets, drysuit seals and dry-socks, dry top neck gasket and wrist seals, drysuit gasket and seal replacement tools and repairs

The tool really makes a difference. Also, when it's time to replace your wrist gaskets, don't bother trying to find a "correct" sized bottle (champagne bottles fit best). When you use any tapered bottle, the damn gaskets will slip and it's a real hassle (in my experience) to get them to set up correctly. As a much better alternative, just cut a piece of minicell the 'right' size (a snug fit inside your jacket sleeve, which will be about 18" in diameter - gaskets are now one standard size at the sleeve end) and cover this with clear packing tape. Use this rather than a bottle and the gasket will be less inclined to slip off. Put a couple rubber bands over the top of the glued gasket to ensure a watertight and complete seal.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #6
Use a balloon

Use a balloon inside the cuff to keep it and the gasket tight. Pop it when the glue is dry and peel it off. Do a search on this site for a write up of the technique. Pretty easy.
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #7
Ft Collins, Colorado
EZ - Interesting idea to use a balloon. Presumably you'd want a heavy-duty balloon for this.

Also, Kokatat has excellent instructions for repairing both neck and wrist/ankle gaskets at:

including dimensions of the neck gasket repair kit pieces. Kokatat suggests making the templates from cardboard, but the commercial ones are made from something like melamine-covered particle board (aobut 3/16" thick), which can then simply be clamped together with small spring clamps.

If this URL above doesn't display correctly, just go to the Kokatat web site, select customer service, and follow the links to 'self repair'.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #8
Naw, just a regular old birthday party balloon. Works great. Center the fabric/gasket joint on the midline of the balloon and inflate it in position so that it pooches out a bit above and below the fabric/gasket line and it will hold the two in position. A rubber band might help too. The key factor is the pressure inside the balloon.

EZ is offline   Reply With Quote