Old 10-21-2008   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Drysuits: IR vs. Kokatat

I am finally going to get myself a drysuit. I am doing a winter Grand trip, and would like to have one for other trips... I seem to like winter private boating.

I am looking at the Kokatat GORE-TEX, or the IR dry suit. Anyone have experience with either? The main thing I don't like about the IR, is the behind the head zipper. But the Kokatat is more expensive. Is it worth it?

CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #2
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
I have the Kokotat Goretex with relief zip and socks...way worth all the dough. I never feel damp or clammy in it. Highly recommended. I don't know anything about IR suits.

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #3
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Kokatat is awesome. I purchased one this year and love it. So dry. And the material is bomber. I have nothing but good things to say about their gear.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
I just got the IR suit and I like it. I can get it on an zipped up in under 2 mins even with the zipper behind me. That's not a problem at all. I love that the zipper doesn't rub against me when I'm paddling and it stays out of the way because it's in the back. I think it's a really good design.

I've never worn another drysuit so I don't know if it's normal or not but My feet do get a little clammy inside the suit, not perfect maybe but not a significant problem.

I like it alot. Just been paddling out east this weekend in sub 40 degrees and I was warm just wearing that and an IR union suit.
scannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #5
Indian Hills, Colorado
IR is a very good low cost option. 400-500 cheaper and the customer service is awesome. nothing against kokatat, just alittle pricey.
Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #6
Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
I have the Kokotat Goretex with relief zip and socks...way worth all the dough. I never feel damp or clammy in it. Highly recommended. I don't know anything about IR suits.
thats the one I got this past spring, yah pricey but its gor-tex, gor-tex is the best thing on the planet
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #7
Web Developer/Programmer
this is slightly OT, but how come in all these years no one has been able to match GoreTex? Now that GoreText has XCR and pro is the original GoreTex still better than everything else on the market? To bring it all back what version of GoreText is Kokatat using on their drysuits?
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #8
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
A lot of materials are as good as gore-tex and cost quite a bit less.
The entrant that IR uses is one.
I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #9
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
IR is affordable and "good". Kokotat is expensive and "the best". I have no ill will with IR and feel they are fantastic for all kinds of stuff. That being said, the Kokotat dry suit is just simply superior, and talk about customer service... it's very much top notch.
Here is my only complaint about my kokotat dry suit and it's hard to articulate without showing you... That front diagonal zipper goes down below the skirt tunnel. Water easily drips down that diagonal zipper down into your boat. You don't get wet, but your boat will get more water in it then usual. Kind of a bummer when you are used to a super dry boat. Small issue when you are talking about being dry on the Grand for 2 weeks. Get it... you will be super stoked.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #10
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
I got a goretex Kokatat drysuit. Its the most damn comfortable thing to paddle in, in the kayaking in a sleeping bag. I can't even believe I have allowed my nuts to freeze off every cold day for the past how ever many years. It's worth it.

Kellman is offline   Reply With Quote