Old 10-21-2008   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post
That front diagonal zipper goes down below the skirt tunnel. Water easily drips down that diagonal zipper down into your boat. You don't get wet, but your boat will get more water in it then usual. Kind of a bummer when you are used to a super dry boat. Small issue when you are talking about being dry on the Grand for 2 weeks. Get it... you will be super stoked.
Not to worry, I understand what you're talking about, but I'm a rafter, so I'm not so worried about water in my kayak. and three and half weeks... we're going a full 25 days. I feel like I'll get my money out of it in that much time on the water.

CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #12
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
mos def

wearing my dry suit 25 days in a row is something I can only dream of doing, if you go kokatat you wont be unsatisfied

Kellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #13
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
You should look into a Palm Stikine. The zipper is on the back, like the IR, which is much more comfortable then one that goes over your should like a kokatat. They are totally dry and one of the toughest suits made in my opinion. My buddy hot a kokatat GMER at the same time that I got my Palm, and my suit definitely held up better then his (and almost every time we went kayaking, we went kayaking together).

I used me Palm Stikine for about 125 river days and it stay totally dry until I slid 50 yards down a scree field on my butt. The fall caused me to put a pin hole in the suit, so I sent it back to Palm to see if they could fix. THE DRYSUIT WAS NOT UNDER WARRANTY. They said no problem, and had me send it to them to have it fixed. A week later they called and let me know that they did not think the drysuit was holding up to their standards, and that they were going to send me a BRAND NEW one fore FREE!

It's worth getting a Palm for their customer service alone.

No Questions about it, Palm or Kokatat is the way to go and I doubt anyone will dispute that.
xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #14
vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1973
I have brand new, never worn, kokotat Gtex drysuit w/ relief zip, size Lg. $100.
Greg 970 390 3020 Vail, Co. area
gkelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #15
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie

I will take it. Left you a message.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008   #16
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
DAMN! Good snag Hobie!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #17
You should check out Level 6 Barrier Dry Suit

I picked up the Level 6 Dry Suit last year for an early spring run down the Middle Fork Salmon. I have used it quite a few times since then and it is bomber dry! built in booties, relief front zipper, and rear entry are all great features of this dry suit. Just thought I would throw it out there as a less expensive option to Kokatat.
Have fun on the Grand
bfelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by l-dot View Post
this is slightly OT, but how come in all these years no one has been able to match GoreTex? Now that GoreText has XCR and pro is the original GoreTex still better than everything else on the market? To bring it all back what version of GoreText is Kokatat using on their drysuits?
Actually the patent on Gore-tex ran out quite a while ago and the method to make it is fairly well known. Gore-Tex is the brand name for ePTFE - or expanded polytetrafluoroethylene - which is a fancy way of saying expanded teflon. Other companies now make the same fabrics and name them different things as the trademark protection's on the name Gore-Tex remains in force.

Some companies, like eVent are in the same league as gore-tex, and many feel that eVent is more breatheable.

Get Outdoors - eVent versus Goretex Pro Shell: The Battle Lines Are Drawn - Outdoor Blog
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #19
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
I've got a Kokotat that is now about 13 years old. Replaced the gaskets and all is good. They last.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008   #20
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The IR one is Great, for the first season. Little more damp season two. Rinsed and dryed out of the sun and still breaking down in protection.

Warren is offline   Reply With Quote