Old 03-04-2008   #21
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
The Kokatat GMER is absolutely the shit. Dry as a bone and breathes well. I have enough confidence in mine that I only brought my paddling clothes on a three day class V run. It's that dry. Spend the money and get booties and a relief zipper. Your paddling days will be 88% better.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #22
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by crackeryaker View Post
Flaco, where did you find that on clearance? Stp?
Yep- the only downside besides the length is that it doesn't have a tunnel- I'm just going to throw a shortie splash top over the sprayskirt tunnel and put a sponge in the creeker.

Now all I gotta do is book my date with the Magnetic Wall on Escalante, and I'm all set for Spring.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #23
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The GFER dosen't have a tunnel, you need to get the Meridian GMER if you need the tunnel. I am a rafter and have no idea how much, if any, water gets in your boat without the tunnel.

The socks are just normal gore-tex fabric or latex and in no way suitable for portages. You need something over them - most people either wear sneakers or some type of neoprene bootie.

Latex socks are cheaper, but don't breathe. Personally I think that the extra cost for the gore-tex is quite questionable. If you wear a neoprene bootie over the sock how does it really breathe? My feet always end up a bit damp with my gore-tex socks. I have had kokatat replace then and I have done numerous aquaseal patches on them as well. With the latex you can fairly easily replace the socks yourself, but again after a long day paddling your feet do end up damp from sweat. Personal preference really.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #24
Boulder, Colorado
I know the Kokotat suits are better than NRS ones hands down. The cut on the Kokotat suits is just a step above. But you said you were looking for reasonably priced suit. I bought a large NRS suit with the relief zipper and attached socks last year. I am 6'' 165 lbs and the large suit is pretty big on me. Other than that it is a decent suit. I have not had any issues getting wet in it. I have even swam in it in the middle of winter and stayed totally warm and dry.

If you do go with an NRS suit, go with one size smaller than you normally would.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #25
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
i got your drysiut nrs extreme

Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
I am looking to purchase a drysuit: I am 6'3" 215lbs. Any big guys out there have any recomendations for a reasonably priced suit that is durable, comfortable, & good range of movement. I am basically just looking in the NRS & CKS catalogs at this point. Any input no matter what your size would be appreciated.
yo mtnguyxc i got a drysuit for you, nrs extreme, size xl, used 8 times, 225 shipped to you, gaskets are all perfect, flawless suit, its what i wear but i wear a large for commercial trips, they hold up great, thanks 406-250-8890 color is grey, new 500 dollars plus
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #26
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Uncle B View Post
Does anybody rent/demo dry suits? I'm doing a SWR class in April and don't want to freeze and I also can't afford to buy a suit on my teaching salary. Any ideas?
buy $100 nrs top from cks great last season deals and fleece up the legs. wool socks and sandels?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #27
just got the IR drysuit. I paddled barrel on Sunday in the snow and I was sweating,even with all the mad loops I was hucking. Okay I rolled after a few attempts. The relief zipper worked well. I was able to zip and unzip the back zipper with minimal wresting and did not notice it when I was paddling. Not cheap but I was loving it. I have no relationship with IR. Nothing to compare to and it was so new that the water was beading up on it.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #28
Commercial Paleontology
Drysuits ??

Thanxs for the offer... I appreciate it but I am convinced at this point that a front relief zip & a tunnel are worth the bucks.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #29
Golden, Colorado
Here's my $0.02.

Have an older model NRS suit with tunnel. Added a relief zip for a pretty penny (~$100-ish), but it's worth it. FWIW, I don't have booties, just ankle gaskets, and it's fine with me. I wear neoprene socks and creek shoes. I can see how on really cold, long trips booties would be nicer as the gaskets cut down on circulation.

I got the suit on the cheap from NRS because it wasn't breathable material. The next season they came out with the current model that uses breathable fabric and has some upgrades like stock with relief zip and I think booties, too. So far my suit worked out fine (once I added the relief zip) because I don't use it in warm weather and with a life jacket and spray tunnel, I wonder how much could I really evaporate out of the suit anyway? If I get hot, roll practice. That's my thinking on the issue.

I've never owned a breathable top though so I may not know what I'm missing. I do know one thing though, my regular NRS drytop is not breathable either and it's on it's 7th season this year, 3rd neck gasket, 2nd wrist gaskets, and still no leaks. The gore-tex materials seem to break down a lot faster as most of my friends' drytops leak after a few seasons. So there is a durability vs. comfortability issue to consider with materials, too.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #30
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks Schizzle, I'm thinking about an NRS as well. I'm sick of being cold and wet in the spring. Guess I'm getting more particular the older I get. Any word on any other suits such as Stolquist?

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote