Old 09-19-2008   #11
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
easiest solution is to use Seam Grip, small hole apply directly, large tear (back with tape). I have used seam grip to repair just about any fabric, all types of dry bags, jackets, dry suits, tents, even boats.

I just touched up holes in about 10 dry bags last month, and it took me about 1 hour total for all bags, some of which were pretty hammered

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #12
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by teleboater5.13 View Post

. Has anyone else had this happen to them while they are flying.
Yeah, it's very common. Putting hard objects against the pvc seems to cause the most damage/holes and dry bags with soft shit like clothes stuffed inside fair better. They will get beat to hell, no matter and often get spots worn to the base fabric but less holes with softer stuff. Even knowing this, I recently stuffed a fly rod case in the bag coming back from AK a few weeks ago and it gashed a wear hole about 2 inches by 1/2. So unless you are trimming every ounce like me on this past trip then use a duffle like previously suggested and save your dry bags the abuse/holes.

upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #13
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Yeah, my bag was even packed intelligently. All clothes with the only hard good being my breakdown. It really sucked because I was only going for 4 days and they lost my bag and didn't get it to me til day 3=paddling on loaners for 3 days. I would not fly with my drybag as luggage again. I'll just roll it up and toss it in the duffle from here on out.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #14
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Tear-Aid Tape

Jack's directions for gluing patches are a bit confusing— oriented towards patching a raft or cat tube on the river where you need to let the adhesive dry and then reactivate it with heat.

For dry bags I've been using Tear-Aid tape, which is a lot easier to apply and still quite effective. I rough up a bit around the punctures and clean with MEK, let dry for 15-20 minutes, apply the Tear-Aid patch, then repeat for the other side.

Two kinds: type A for nearly everything. Type B for vinyl (which I assume includes PVC fabric). Here's a link for Tear-Aid tape:

30 Foot Rolls

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote