Old 03-23-2009   #1
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Dry Box Suspension

I am looking for some suggestions on suspending a dry box from my frame. The box does not have tabs; so resting it on the cross beams is not an options and I would prefer that the set be easy to add/remove for going from day trips to multi-day. May just go with the NRS mounts if no better ideas come my way. It is an NRS cat frame.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #2
Palisade, Colorado
I think your best option is to get some tabs welded on...second best: use straps to make a cradle/sling...never tried the NRS mounts, sounds gimmicky.

peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You could get a drop bag like from dre.

The aluminum bent pieces from nrs work well, if they fit at all. I tried some to hold a cooler, but I remember something being goofy about them. Maybe you cant lower them to the depth I wanted?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #4
Paddling Since: 1993
Cam straps. Loop or otherwise. Easy adjustable and in and out in a flash. I would also still cam even in a drop bag just in case there is a catastrophic tear in the bag ya dont lose your spendy box. my 2 cents
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #5
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
use NRS straps to make a sling to cradle the dry box. use more NRS straps over the top of the box to hold it in place. works great and is a lot cheaper than the NRS cooler holder thingy.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #6
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I like the drop bags the most, leaves you some extra room to store little things (like empty beer cans.) There won't be any increased likelyhood of a catastophic fail because the load bearing portions of the bag are 1 inch cam straps. throw some loop straps over the top to hold it in.

Cam strap cradles work fine- you can buy "strap sliders" to attach to the strap. They will hold the strap in place- with part of the strap forming the cradle, and the other part wrapping around the top to secure the box. This allows you to access the box without dropping the cradle, and uses half the straps as other methods.

The metal drybox holders ( the one that attach to a strap) from NRS are great if you are going to be using the box as a seat. They prevent the box from rotating in the cradle, and keep it level.
AKATief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #7
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
I would seriously look into having tabs welded on. You will be happy you did it.
The NRS angle aluminum is cool if you are supporting with straps, it makes keeping the straight, that said, you COULD be creative and run straps through whatever angle metal you have available at the local hardware store.
I'm willing to bet that tabs could be welded on in less than an hour.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #8
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I second the NRS aluminum slings if you are sitting on them especially for rowing, as you don't get the rotation that you encounter with regular webbing slings. These are especially good if you are using the Clavey flip seat bracket to rest on top of the dry box for a fisherperson up front. If not sitting on, go with the loop straps. I personnally do not like the tabs welded on because I have a small truck bed and loading all the coolers/boxes etc. the extra tab width f****s up my loading and gets snagged on stuff. If you have a big truck or trailer no problem though.

A welding shop will probably charge 0.5 hours to do the welding and maybe 1.0 hour if they have to cutt the tabs, etc. which will run you probably from $40-90 or so.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #9
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've used the NRS dry box hangers for years. They work great. Be aware that there is also an NRS cooler hanger. The dry box hangers are bent at right angles, the cooler ones are curved. I would be leery of using a drop bag with a drybox due to the sharp corners propensity to rub and cut the bag. Tabs are a great solution, but be sure of where you get them attached (can't move them). Cam straps are definitely the cheapest solution. I sure am happy with my NRS setup.
I don't think the heavy stuff is gonna come down for quite a while.
~Carl Spackler
Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009   #10
bedlam and squalor, Montana
No drop bag for dryboxes. The sharp corners wear holes in them quickly. The weight is supported by 1" webbing so the box won't fall out of the boat but your trash will fall out of the holes made by the box's corners. A couple of loop straps and a trash bag are a better idea.

If you're sitting on the box use the alumnum NRS mounts or welded tabs. The only drawback to the NRS mounts is that one side is not adjustable for height. The other side is adjustable though so you can put the box in at an angle which is nice if you're rowing from it (the top front edge of the box doesn't dig into the back of your legs)

I've used the drop bags and they suck for dryboxes. I am currently using the NRS system and am very happy with it.

Perdido is offline   Reply With Quote