Old 03-13-2013   #1
Somewhere in, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Dry Box Funk

Need a liitle advice with cleaning out a dry box. After my last outing (last October) my gear was was put up in a hurry. I could blame someone, but it's my stuff and while I am usually pretty hard on gear I take care of it. Well usually. Anyway, I am getting ready to hit the Owyhee in a few weeks and was pulling my stuff together and opened said dry box to find that the straps to secure it in the frame were put into the box.......wet. The box wasn't sealed but it had my cooler and other gear stacked on top of it which was enough to create a PITA white mold looking substance all over the inside of the box. My attempts to clean it with non abrasive cleaners had little effect. It's hardened to the point where I am considering scraping or sanding it off. Before I go there I figured I would check here and see if any one has any ideas on removing it? I have tried bleach and some other solvents like denatured alcohol and still, nothing cuts it.

Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Does it stink? If it doesn't stink I'd wipe down what comes off, and forget the rest.

If it stinks, I'd try some fine steel wool and/or some other abrasive cleaner. It might put some small scratches in the aluminum, but it's on the inside of a box- who cares? Not to mention the abrasion on the outside of a box every time silty, sandy water gets it dirty. If you really want to be gentle with it, I guess you could try some epsom salt, or use baking soda for the smell?

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #3
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Could it just be oxidation?
GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013   #4
Somewhere in, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
Could it just be oxidation?

That's a good call. It could be and I hope it is. It just looks like its a fungus or something. I have seen oxidation before but just not like this. This chit looks like it grow legs and walk off off with the box. The box is about 6 years old and this just now happened so I was surprised to find it. The box stunk but just a little from the mildewy straps. I think the bleach took care of that.

Actually now that I am done overreacting, I am just going to roll with it. F-it.

Soup76 is offline   Reply With Quote