Old 02-11-2012   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Drift HD camera for whitewater kayaking?

I know many are using GoPros and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Drift cams. Has anyone used these for whitewater kayaking? I'm doing a Grand Canyon trip in March and wondering if I should take a regular camcorder or invest in a helmet style cam. The regular camcorder would provide better shots in general but the Drift would allow me to take more video on the river.

What are your thoughts?

ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #2
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
The grand is so much more than just whitewater I'd bring a canon t2i if you are worried about cost. T2i is still pricy but 699 from the store is pretty good price for a body and lense... Upgrade to a t3i for about 900 and get the manual 1080 movie Mode. Basically the 7d in a cheaper body, in terms of video. It only shoots 3.7 fps for typical shooting. You want to beable to capture what you see I would just pay the price cause years later you can look back and say hell yeah..

Honestly I can say I'm just about to throw the gopro away if it weren't so easy to use. But I ten times more pumped for the new t3i I just picked up. Just buy a watershed bag for it. And a liner or make one out of Walmart blue camping pad some super77, micro fleece and elbow grease. Sewing machine helps.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Video cam

Thanks, Mike. We will have lots of cameras so I was focusing more on video only so I hadn't been considering a DSLR with video capability. I'll do some looking into it.
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote

camera, kayaking