Old 06-18-2011   #1
Blue River, Colorado
drift boat on Upper C

I'm getting conflicting info on running Pumphouse to Radium at the current flows with a drift boat. The range of info is from have fun and enjoy the bigger water to buy boat insurance because the boat will be swamped in needles eye and or the larger wave trains. Who should I believe?

chuckc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #2
B.F.E., Wyoming
LoPro or hiSide?

If its a lopro I wouldn't take it through but hisides are designed to be used in the fast and rocky PacNW water.

Thats about all I know, haven't actually done that stretch before but I've spent my fair share of time at the oars in a drift boat.

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I would say you'll be fine if your capable of reading the water and knowing how to cheat around a hole. You will get some water in your boat but as long as you have a bucket and don't center punch the holes you should have fun. I ran a couple weeks ago at 8200cfs and I felt like my grandma could have navigated it safely. If you can read water and this isn't your first season I'd go for it. But in the event that you do swamp and sink you might want to call your insurance agent before you go. lol Also there is a good picture of the Yarmony hole floating around here that is from this year it shows the approach, the line (I'd say river Right) and the get away.
good luck
airnordica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011   #4
Blue River, Colorado
Thanks for the info, I've run this before but at 2000cfs.BTW it's a 16'8" high side.
chuckc is offline   Reply With Quote