Old 06-03-2011   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dress to Swim

So I have a raft and have dry gear for myself. But alot of the times my passengers don't. Any suggestions on the best way to prepare my raft going passengers for a potential swim?

I have been suggesting fleece and a wind breaker. I figure that won't keep you dry but should help your body maintain some core heat.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #2
fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
buy some cheap splash gear from an outfitter. they usually sell the really ratty shit at the end of the year. I picked up 6 splash gear sets, helmets and pfd's for $300 a few years back. well worth it because when they are on my boat they are my responsibility.

smoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #3
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Bring some extra warm layers too, to replace if/when they swim and everything gets wet, even under splash gear. We usually bring an extra small drybag with extra clothes.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #4
Paddling Since: 2002
x2 for going to an outfitter and buying their old splash gear. thrift stores can be a great place to find fleece under layers
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #5
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
It's fairly easy to rent wetsuits. Just a thought, especially if you run some cold and more dangerous rivers.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011   #6
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Wet or dry suits are very important. We rescued three fishermen who had flipped their raft on the Colorado a few weeks ago. One was wearing a shorty wetsuit under his clothing, and was fine. But the other two were wearing jeans and hiking boots, swam 300+ yards in 42 degree water, and were near death from hypothermia when we reached them.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #7
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Make sure they do not wear any cotton. It's like an evaporative cooler. I usually bring extra rain gear and ask that they do the same. The more water they can keep off of ther body and clothes underneath, the better.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I suggest you contact an outfitter and rent wetsuits from them ....I did that yesterday cost my guest $5 each to rent a wetsuit and botties
love2ski2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #9
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I was in Wilderness Aware down by BV yesterday and saw that they're selling off Farmer John wetsuits for $20 each. I've picked up good booties for $5/pair or cheaper from outfitters before along with splash gear, helmets, and the works.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #10
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
If you are providing the raft and likely the trailer and vehicle the least courtesy they can do to you is rent wetsuits. I can't (don't want to) afford pfd + clothing for everyone I take. usually $5-10 per day to rent, well worth it

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote