Old 08-24-2011   #1
DRE barrel pump

So after 8+ years of faithful service, my DRE pump has finally crapped out. Props to DRE for getting it this far down the road. I'm topping off my boat and the handle comes straight out of the top of the barrel and there I stand with what I'm told is the classic WTF look on my face. Left it on the work bench for a month cause I didn't have time to mess with it until this past weekend. Took the top off of the barrel, and inside is the plunger base and 2 rubber o-rings. With pieces scatter about inside the barrel, I'm not sure how this goes back together. Who out there has the knowin of this highly complex (to me anyways) piece of equipment, and how the hell does it go back together. Rather not go the new pump route if at all possible. $175 buys alot of shoes and food, if you get my meaning. Thanks for knowledge.

whiteh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #2
C. Springs, Colorado
I would take it to DRE and ask them for help.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

Can you post a photo of the pieces scattered about your workbench? I thought about opening my NRS pump to lube it and take a photo of what's inside but it might not be relevant. I'm thinking one of the o-rings is a spare.

Don't let it stop you from getting on the river!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by whiteh2o View Post
Took the top off of the barrel, and inside is the plunger base and 2 rubber o-rings. With pieces scatter about inside the barrel, I'm not sure how this goes back together.
Some pictures would definitely help. The 2nd O-ring is a spare that comes inside every DRE pump. "The pieces scattered about" has me a little worried. My guess is your handle assembly may have broke, which can be replaced if that is what happened. If you are local, you should take it over to DRE and let them have a look.

One a related note, you should perform routine (once every year or two) maintenance on any of the more expensive pumps. You should remove the handle assembly and clean all of the dirt/sand/grime that accumulates inside. Then re-grease with vasoline or equivalent as well as replace the O-ring periodically.
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011   #5
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 06
I think if your plunger plate is still intact and the coupling that your handle shaft fits into is still in one piece you can just use some PVC or gorilla glue to set it back into place. I've heard about that happening on trips and that simple fix has held for the past 5 years. hope that helps.
tomyj is offline   Reply With Quote