Old 01-20-2009   #11
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Oh, one more thing. Don't discount the real Shredder. They are bad ass and can be found used for around $1000. Much more durable than the Rio Bravo option.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #12
mini-max/mini-me vs. culebra/shreder/paddle cat

i have paddled a culebra (made by jacks plastic) several times, i am guessing very similar to the shredder and paddle cat. i found this boat with two people to be very maneuverable, and even stable with up to three people (two paddlers, one passenger, and small cooler). i would say it is ideal for r2, but feeling crowded with 3rd passenger.

i also own a rio bravo mini-max, which i bought at the end of last summer and got to r2 a few times before the end of the season. this boat (and i suspect the smaller mini-me) can easily be handled as r2, but does have the option to comfortably take a 3rd and starts to get a little crowed with a 4th imo.

if i were picking a boat for r2 only, i would go with the culebra. it is nearly as agile as a kayak, and i could catch eddies very easily in it. i have not had a lot of r2 time in my mini-max yet, but my initial impression is that it felt more tippy side to side than the culebra as evidenced by the width - only 62" for the mini-max (even narrower 60" on the mini-me) but a little wider 65" for the culebra, and with a smaller tube diameter on the culebra that gives it an even wider feel.

i chose the mini-max for my wife and me to r2, but also be able to take a friend or two along. the mini-max has two thwarts, where the mini-me only has one, adding a little more seating capacity for the mini-max. i thought the mini-me was a little too small for taking friends along.

i am sure we will be able to r2 the mini-max in the likes of browns, shoshone, and woody/toothache, and i would like to get up to numbers/gorge/slaughterhouse and other CL IV in it with some practice. that being said, i think we could jump into CL IV in the culebra even quicker as it is a more maneuverable boat. i have paddled all these in my kayak, but the wife only up to shoshone/easy CL III in kayak, so the raft will hopefully get us into some more challenging water together.

my 2c: culebra/paddle cat for r2 only; mini-max/mini-me for r2 if you have some friends to take along on occasion. duckies never (see duckies=dorky thread).

river dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #13
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by calendar16 View Post
Hey Y'all and Happy Winter!

I am interested in getting a couple of IK's for the coming season so the wife and I can do some paddling...we have a Maravia Williwaw II oar rig that just isn't the friendliest 2-person rig due to its size and weight.

I figured a couple of IK's would be a little more exciting for the weekend floats down Shoshone, Grizzly, and the Roaring Fork when I am not in my Maravia or hard shell Mamba. Basically an outting with the wife and dog is what I am getting at...

Obviously as part of my own 'economic stimulus plan' I am looking to buy a couple of reasonably priced IK's whether used or new...doesn't seem like a whole lot of used ones out there (obviously this time of year). But I also realize that when it is paddling season they seem relatively hard to come by used for a decent price.

Has anyone paddled the Down River Equipment Hypalon IK's? They seem to be reasonably priced right now for a new Hypalon boat. Their denier count isn't close to that of the Hyside Padillac's but they are also half the price.

Any suggestions out there or any connects on used tandem IK's?

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying the snow!

our company bought a bunch of IKs from downriver....junk!
catguidexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #14
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
lots of ways to float/run/rip the river.
iks have there use as well as bucket boats and smaller rafts.
In the imortal words of the templar knight in that indie movie,
choose wisely
We have loved the tandem duck from hyside for my son and I, the wife and daughter will use next until the daughter is in a hard sheel. Then I will sell since it is a quality product taken care of.
different strokes for different folks.
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #15
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Mini-Me is the winner!

I had put an order in for a paddlecat but the reality of the matter was that Hyside was not going to be shipping them until sometime in late May with a more realistic receival of the boat in June! That was just too late for my liking...since I want to be on the river in April this year, the winner of the 2009 investment for fun madness for my household is a brand spanking new green Hyside Mini-Me!!! I am siked! Any other Mini-Me owners in the Roaring Fork Valley out there? I would like to join the possee!

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote