Old 06-16-2010   #21
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I believe No Name got it's name from the Native American word Nonamme which means "a whale's vagina." I'm pretty sure that's right.

All you got to do is do it.
jeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #22
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Foulhooked1, you should find another web site to do your bashing and your giving the rest of my vail friends a bad name. this site is here to help one another so these problems dont happen at the put in. Never forget that you could be on the end of the throw bag at anytime and when you look up I hope its a dory thats saving your ass

bnskyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #23
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Also saw a dory go down last year. Guy dropped his boat at the top and literally pushed it down the ramp while no one was below. No trailer parking.
That would seem like the way to go since the ramp is so steep. Just drop the boat at the top and slide it down. If the OP is worried about hashing up the bottom of the dory use a few cheap PVC pipes to roll it down on.

Sho Sho would be a blast in a Dory. Not sure it's worth all that effort for the length of the run, but fun.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #24
i have run shoshone hundreds of times. i have backed down the ramp to unload my boat at least a half dozen times. with that being said, i know it is illegal. when no one is there, especially the forest service jerk wads it is not a big deal. i run it solo on a 14' cataraft when hardly anyone else will, i have run it a 12,000 and down and consider 4500 to 6500 the most challenging level. above that it is mostly washed out. i cant recall ever hitting a rock in my boat which is considerably wider than a dory. if a guy wants to run it in a dory go for it, an experienced oarsman should have no trouble avoiding rocks and picking a line that works for him. i havent rowed a dory in a long time but if i remember right they are alot more nimble than a 16' raft. the only concern i would have in a dory is taking on water from splash over.
the guy who chimed in that the author of the thread is an idiot, is himself an idiot, and should keep posts like that to himself. it does no one any good to insult someone for asking a legitimate question. people have told me that i cant take my boat down the crystal, but i did and it was great, people tell me all the time not to solo big water, but i do it all the time. if i waited around for someone else to go with i would spend alot of time at home. shoshone is alot of fun at high water, it only happens once a year if we are lucky, if you are afraid of it at 6000 plus then stay off it, but dont tell others that they should stay off it. it is closed to commercial for legal reasons more than the difficulty of running it.
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #25
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
If you are going soon, tell us when. I might be able to run safety.

There is one place for trailer parking and that is about 50 feet just between the two no parking signs as you begin to head up on the on ramp to I-70. However, if a ranger is there they will tell you not to park there that this area is saved for rafting companies for temp. parking. If the river is above 6k, park there, I always have and had not issues.

mustloverafting is offline   Reply With Quote