Old 06-15-2010   #11
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I know. But you're busting on someone else for no good reason.

CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #12
vail, Colorado
Done doing cpr on people making bad decisions.

foulhooked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #13

I assume the same J Peak from Palisade that I ran WW with last Halloween? Yeah it must be. Go for it! There aren't that many rocks in Shoshone with your skills. I went down Browns with a guy 2 years ago that took his Dory. We all thought he was nuts because it was only running about 1400, but he made it no problem. Way more rocks on Browns than Sho-Sho. Ignore foulmouth guy. He probably is a kayaker (no offense to kayakers) or a newbie who bought a raft last year and thinks he knows it all.

You can't back your boat down at the put in but you're resourceful so I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Have fun!

jworthyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #14
Palisade, Colorado
quit hijacking. Foulhooked can act hard somewhere else.

MustLove, you sound like you know what you're talking about. Why can't you put a trailer down at Shoshone? Physically impossible, or illegal? I know that weird little 90 degree bend in the thing, but I'd think I could get a trailer in the water, no? also, I've heard you can't PARK a trailer there, but that doesn't mean you couldn't put one in...

and whats up with this Dinosaur hole? where?
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #15
pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by foulhooked1 View Post
IDIOT!!!! Do your homework. Have you ever been down shoshone? A) no ramp B) currently closed for commercial whitewater (for a reason). C) Too many rocks, dude yer boat WILL sink. Bottom line- this is not a dory run. Are you really from Palisade? Do yourself a favor and pull down this thread before to many people see it.
1. That IDIOT built his own boat out of wood! not to shabby I say
2. My guess is he's never been down Shosone or he wouldn't be asking the question
3rdly. I know kayakers might hate on rafters and everyone hates private landowners with trout farms but really you can't hate on Dories (unless they're those fiberglass ones).

Stay safe on the river all
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #16
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
they remove the post at grizzly during off-peak times of the season. I assume it's there until at least august, but I've backed a trailer down when its not there. My feeling is that if shosho isn't busy you could back a trailer down if you could negotiate the corner, but the forest service workers might put the kaibosh on it. There is no trailer parking, so I've just detached the trailer and taken two spots.

The Dinosaur hole/wave can flip you at these levels and it usually has trees/logs getting tossed around in it. I've tried hitting the meat twice and flipped once. Dory might handle it better. Easy line to the right. It's right before the Canyon Creek boat ramp. There's a dinosaur dig on river left that is surrounded by a chain-link fence. That's the marker I use. (that and the giant hole in the middle of the river)...

good luck!
kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #17
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Shoshone is not a trailer access ramp and backing down it is definitely illegal. You would definitely look like a retard if you tried to back a trailer down it. There's usually a Ranger on duty there most of the time during the summer too. It is designed as a quick drop-off point for commercial boats who have their own shuttles, and plenty of man power (or should I say touron power) to carry boats, with light stern frames, down the ramp. There's not even trailer parking allowed at Shoshone, you have to park at Grizzly if you have a trailer. I usually prefer to do laps on Shoshone in my 14' raft as a paddle boat at around 8000cfs cause all the rocks are covered up and the waves are big, but not keepers. I have done it with my oar frame, but have to bring everything down and assemble by the water... pain in the ass. So if you have a dory and you can't physically carry it down the 30 degree 60 ft ramp by hand, you have to put in at Grizzly, when it's open, which is most of the time. In my opinion, Shoshone is definitely be do-able in a dory at all levels, and would be fun as hell, but the ramp is an issue and you better know how to row that shit... The ramp at Grizzly is about 50 ft and is very narrow the whole way down to the water. The float down to Glenwood from there is a fun float but not very exciting, more of a scenic tour for tourons. There are plenty of obstacles that will wrap your boat if you're not paying attention however. The summer I guided in Glenwood Canyon there was a dory wrapped on a rock for like 2 months just below Grizzly. You can take out at Two Rivers Park, which is easiest, or you can keep going down to South Canyon or New Castle or even Rifle. Dinosaur hole is right before the New Castle take out and it WILL flip any raft and WILL capsize any dory, so I wouldn't hit it if I were you. My advice to you would be to come float the Roaring Fork. There are plenty of trailer access ramps and parking, and it is much more dory friendly.
All you got to do is do it.
jeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #18
Paonia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
As an additional idiot from Palisade with a wooden dory and over 25 yrs running rivers, I was under the impression tax payer funds ultimately paid for both the Shoshone and Grizzly launch sites. I would be the first in line to run Shoshone at big water with a wooden dory when existing infastruture could and should be available.
synergyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #19
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Foulhooked1, you are a tool. No, wait... A douche bag! Go do CPR on yourself! No name did not get it's name from a dory, or Powell! And who the fuck are you to say what a dory can go down.

Shoshone would be fun in a dory. You just need to carry it a few feet. Wait for a commercial trip to show up at the ramp and ask the bus load of tourists to help. I always get them to carry my raft down since my 6 and 8 year old are not strong enough!

You can back down the ramp at grizzly but you would miss the best part of the rapids.

If your dory is wooden, I would not go In there below 1500. But those flows don't happen until late fall or winter.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #20
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I've seen it all at sho sho. Just this year, I saw a guy back his trailer down the ramp. Jeep with a raft and complete fishing frame. He looked like an idiot taking a rig like that down at high water. We gave him the stink eye and left it at that. Also saw a dory go down last year. Guy dropped his boat at the top and literally pushed it down the ramp while no one was below. No trailer parking.

Grizzly, There is a ramp and there may or may not be a post. After 5 pm it is usually clear. You can ask the FS person at the ramp if they can move it for you. Sometimes they say yes, other times they say no.

No Name, No public ramp. You can carry a boat a long way to the river from the rest area or push it / lower it down a hill in the residential neighborhood culdesac.

Dinosaur is not that big. Punch it and have fun.

Why the attitude of some of you? It is a public launch managed by the FS. Be glad we have a launch in that area at all. I pay taxes, but you don't see me pissed off that I can not take a pee at the public post office.

Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote