Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-28-2007   #21
WOW. Thanks Chris. I will see you in the begining of April for the race and freestyle.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #22
We have three parks in Denver? Besides Union and Confluence, which other one?

It seems that both weren't designed with playboating in mind. The fact that they produce any wave at all is lucky.

Are they talking about redoing the Confluence ladder? That is solid concrete. I expect redoing Confluence will be expensive. Perhaps there is a cheap way to tweak it--3 bigger drops instead of 6 smaller ones?

Confluence often has flows of 300-500 cfs later in the season. It will run when Golden is done for the season. It would be nice to have good features at Confluence.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #23
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
an FYI on the Gate design

The gates I am designing are hopefully going to be quite a bit better than you see on a lot of courses.

Lateral cabling is 3/32" aerospace grade stainless steel and coated with a UV-resistant poly coating.

The gates will have a lateral traverse bar on steel rollers.

Hung beneath that will be the gate bar itself, to which two 1-1/2 inch heavy gauge PVC poles will be suspended from via the same type of coated cable for the lateral run.

The gate bar itself will be vertically adjustable via a pair of control lines.

The gate poles will be capable of being weighted to adjust for windy conditions.

This makes for a nice setup as you can reposition the gate horizontally and vertically.

The gates are also being designed so they can be easily repaired, should one become damaged or if they striping needs repainting.

Each gate is costing about $115.00 in materials, plus my time to build them.

Everything is being designed and built within ICF/IOC rules (lots of metric conversion) and I guarantee, they'll be pretty too!
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #24
Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996
Whitewater Parks of the Platte..

1- Union Chutes (no redevelopment in the vision)
2- Matrix Project (Zuni/Sun Valley Improvements) will include drop features due to the FabriDam removal and improvements of the Platte to protect wetlands and lowering and widening of the river bed. (more on this later)
3- Confluence Park- Rebuilding the entire course, lengthening the top section by removing some drops to make more constant and better featured. Adding new drops with 3 dimensional motorized features to accommodate feature building for events and specific user groups as well water flow.
Adding an additional drop below the existing course to allow whitewater to flow down to the bridge. Gate systems, lights and river education implants to be done. Flash boards to control water flow going over the weir or to focus flow to the whitewater channel. Education and action to clean the Cherry Creek outflow to improve on the animal waste levels and other bacterial problems.
4. 20th Street Drops- Rebuilding to better channel the whitewater to accommodate water flows better with in channel obstacles and rock placement as to create good natural river feel than the more artificial feel of Confluence or Union Chutes.

Nothing is in stone right now, built have tremendous support now from the City and County, including the Dept of Health.
Our stakeholders group is fast moving and big thinking.
Once the final vision is approved and drafted beyond the above, we will need EVERYONES help in bringing awareness to the river and it's pollution concern in partnership with the Dept of Health and the Stake Holders Group. These multi use venues will be great where as it will spread out user groups and allow for specialty training and river like running unlike any other urban area in the world.

We right now have a dream that is starting to become moldable and with your help in creating a unified user group, the sky will be the limit for year round reliable whitewater and development of inner city disadvantaged, disabled and other new folks into our wonderful sport.

I will start a think tank site shortly on this process of where to go and how to get there. I know we have hundreds, if not thousands of people that are interested in the local scene and how to improve to make it the best in the world.

Sure there are those hard core types that want somethign just for them and could care less about the whole picture, they can either choose to help us so that they have something where there is minimal or nothing or get the hell out of Colorado and move to the Zambezi for their worlds best play waves or what ever.

Boaters are compassionate, open minded, environmentally and humanitarian focused people (in the most cases)... lets find those roots that I as a boater am proud to be part of.

For those who have bad things to say about Denver and what we can build, I want facts as to how you will provide something better than what we have above.

Again... it is about the whole and not a single few people.

I am excited to work with all of you in the future to build this dream.
FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #25
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Anyone for a nice 10-footer at Confluence?
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #26
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Basil... I think you inadvertantly caught some of the heat from this thread if you didn't read it already:

If the gates are properly done, and it sounds like they will be, it shouldn't be too hard for the playaz out there to slide them out of the way when needed.

To my knowledge, this has never been a problem at Golden. If I get bonked in the head by a gate, and no one is using them, sliding them out of the way has never been hard, annoying, or had any impact what-so-ever on my fun.

And, Yes. I am for a nice 10 footer at connie. I wonder if the river left side could be turned into a safe 10 footer. Anyone ever run that and survived?

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #27
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Short on cash this month
Can only donate in cup
Elvis' DNA

Though not currency
I believe rich lesbians
Will pay top dollar

Philanthropic deed
all procedes from sale of sperm
go towards new gates

Hair, voice, hip akshun
Bitchin haiku skills to boot
how bout it ladies?
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #28
Wow, yes, I didn't see that other thread. Interesting.

I got to say, those gates are a real pain. Even in an eddy, they are constantly banging me on the helmet and hitting my paddle. They are occaisionally a pain in Golden too on one of the upper drops.

I've tried to move the gates from my boat, but it's hard. They don't slide easily. And after the fifth helmet bang, I'm feeling like pulling the sucker down if it won't slide.

Sorry if this throws flames on the fire. The proposal sounds real cool and I support it if it really is multi-discipline. Yea, this slalom boater vs. playboater is silly compared with getting something like this project done.

But, I do encourage appreciatation with how much of a pain those gates can be to play boaters.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #29
Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996
We will make it work!

I can assure you that I want to make all groups get along. I have been to just about every whitewater venue in the world and have never seen so many problems between playboaters and slalom.
I do understand the inconvenience and "torture" these pesky gates can cause in eddies.

It is a true pain in the ass when they do not slide. I am trying to address this issue in Golden now. My goal for Golden is EVERY gate easily moves and is on a pulley system. We have had that in past, but people kill the gear, even when they are moved to the side. This is primarily tubing folks.

This is a small group that is turning to traffic of many hundred that will use these gates in the next year and continually growing from there.
Again... keep communicating problems or concerns ..WITHIN REASON to me and I will work with everyone as things start to roll quickly in the next month.

For any creek types and Playboaters... we will have a slalom like race for you shortly.
a Slalom Race (Only 7 gates) through Upper Boulder Creek and Rig on Clear Creek. This is your chance to compete against these young kids in creek boats.
FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #30
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
I don't know where you guys get your supplies or what goes into making these gates, but I can think I can get high end pulleys (blocks) and wire or rope made for sailboat rigging at cost. Maybe more durable that what you are using, and made to take a beating.

J is offline   Reply With Quote