Old 04-11-2008   #31
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Count- I'm more like an Ewok, I think. But the sound was decidedly Wooky-esque.

Bornwithatail- Were you referring to it being cooler if I was rubbing it instead of you? Shame on you, talkin' to a lady that way! Call me anyway when you're done to gloat about how beautiful Desolation Canyon is in the Springtime, Jackass.

Originally Posted by Bornwithatail View Post
It'd be a lot cooler if you'd do that. (Couldn't help it.) You love me, yes you do. Actually now I'm doing a bunch of day trips on the White, then Craig Yampa stuff next week, then Deso I guess. Mainly just fishin', but on the water every day.

TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #32
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The "Snag" rock is visible in the run out river right. It's never class V, until the raft wrapped out there has all your beer on it. I've heard a fewnasty wrap stories, but only seen a few close calls.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #33
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Derk-you cut out the part where I make my way out of the hole!

Nice video though! that sure would be fun at 4-5,000
Browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008   #34
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
The "Snag" rock is visible in the run out river right. It's never class V, until the raft wrapped out there has all your beer on it. I've heard a fewnasty wrap stories, but only seen a few close calls.

I've kayaked this stretch a dozen times at all kinds of levels, and I remember thinking that it's not easy miss that rock when the water is up- all the current goes right in there. I'm rowing this stretch in May for a bachelor party and this rapid definitely has me nervous...
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #35
D'ango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Silly rafters

Rafters rate their stuff up a notch because it sucks ripping rafts. When it goes bad for a raft, we're not connected to a chamber full of air that self-rights, we're underneath a bouncing truck. A class 4 becomes shitty when you miss the entrance & hang a corner up & go through the class 4 sideways/upside down. Also when you have about 700 lbs of paddler's crap on it, makes it kinda painful when it hits the top of your head during flips. Give the S.U.V.'ers a break.
Bornwithatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #36
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
You should have seen some of the crap people rafted with before self-bailers. It was that hard then. On some of the "classic" runs those old ratings keep hanging on. Think soft floppy bucket boat, homemade oars with strips of tire instead of clips a nice comfy metal tractor seat. I had an old guide book for the Ark that rated Widow Maker IV-V, funny shit.
riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #37
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by COUNT View Post
Since I think I remember someone asking for it, here goes:

Just got off a 2 day trip through Dolores Canyon. Air and Water temps were cold, flows were about 1000.

Perhaps it was the years of hype about it since it hasn't really run in 7 years and listening to the tales of yore the old man has about it, but it wasn't what I expected. I was expecting a remote and scenic class III desert float with a IV+ (according to CRC and SWR).

To start off, we had 4 sets of directions to the take-out from 3 different books and wandered around before we found it. Hwy 666 in SWR and the Gazetteer is actually marked as Hwy 491 on the road and most atlantes. The rest of the roads are labeled as described. The take-out is found just upstream of the bridge over the Dolores in Slickrock, on river-right. We had no issues with vehicles left at the put-in or take-out. Follow the BLM signs to Lone Dome to get to the Bradfield Launch (and turn left when you get to the sign marking Bradfield).

The put-in camping sucks. There are toilets. The water pump was not working.

We did not see a ranger or any evidence of one the entire trip.

The river is pretty much all class II with a couple rapids that are IIIish. Snaggletooth is a IV. The river does however move at a good clip the entire time and there is hardly any flatwater to speak of.

There is a river-wide strainer about 10 miles downstream of Bradfield. Kayaks were able to go right over this. The raft (a 16' cat) was able to push/line the boat over and around on the far river-right edge. If it hits the 4G's of 100% release, this will most probably move. Be heads up.

The scenery is good (alpine desertish at the put-in) and gets progressively better the farther you go (pretty sweet sandstone canyon walls at the end). I think part of the source of disappointment for me was the fact that I was expecting a remote overnighter but there was actually a road paralleling the river for a large portion of the stretch. We saw a number of cars and trucks passing or parked. In addition to the road, we found a number of campsites with fire-rings and wooden groovers.

It was a great trip but I would be inclined to do Slickrock to Bedrock if I were looking for scenery (just judging by what we saw in the drive in and photos; I haven't done that one) or Westwater/Cat/Salt/Deso for whitewater. With good weather, it would be an excellent mellow family float without ever really being concerned about remoteness.

Photos and video (including the Snaggletooth beat-down) to come shortly.

Sounds like you did not get the full experience. I guess I was spoiled last time I ran it was 84 at close to 3000 it was most definiatly challanging. I saw several rafts flipped or pinned on snag. I also saw an oar frame carnage in snage float out of control into the wall (large unbercut) below snag. The guide who bravely or stupidly stayed with the boat was very should we say damaged!!! The thole pins on the rig 1" in diameter where bent like pretzels but the worst of it was that this was the gear boat for a large comercial opperation. Yes there are 4 wheel drive roads but access is limited and this group had to depend on the gernerousty of several other company's for gear, food, and shelter.

But I'm jealous trying to set up a trip for myself. thanks for the post

kayakerpro is offline   Reply With Quote