Old 03-02-2007   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Dolores releases

Does anyone know about how the Dolores Conservancy District does it's predictions? I'm trying to plan a float for Slickrock/ Bedrock / Gateway, and I'm wondering how close these predictions are and whether I'm reading them right. I know it's early for the actual schedule, but since the release is in May (soon) I'd like to anticipate time off & whatnot as best I can.

Latest Forecast Plan:

If I'm reading correctly, it appears that releases of about 800 cfs are 'most probable' for May 20th through the 29th. I've kayaked the Snaggletooth section a bunch, but I've never rafted the lower canyons- which is appalling given that I lived in Dgo for 8 years. Since I didn't get an Idaho permit, this is on the top of my list.

Incidentally, the inflow they're calling for is about 3500- that means that the Stoner / Stampede section should be pumping about that time. Delicious.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #2
Durango, Colorado
Not sure exactly how they do their predictions. I would guess it would be based on both the snowpack as well as the current level of McPhee. However, last year they had a similar prediction and that they would release 800 cfs on Memorial weekend...a week before the scheduled release, they lessened it down to somewhere around 250cfs. So I'm gonna guess that unless we see a whole lot of snow this month and next, it ain't gonna happen.

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #3
Steamboat Springs, CO
Paddling Since: 1995
just call the DAM and ask. They are more than happy to help. It seems that just before the season, mid may early June, they post the releases on the sight you reffered. GL, Its a sweet trip. Im looking to get on it too if time allows.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #4
Paddling Since: 1994
it seems like they do what they want regardless of what they say. have a backup plan.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #5
Idaho hasn't run it's lottery yet

The Idaho 4 rivers lottery hasn't been run yet. They contracted it out this year. It's a total mess. USFS has no idea what's going on because the contractor won't return their calls. Low bidder - what do you expect? So you may still have a shot at an ID trip.

Anyway, as someone else above said, unless we get some snow, there may not be much of a Dolores season - snowpack is below average. Go if you can, it's a beautiful little run.

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #6
Just going by memory here. But I beleive if you can find out what snow pack was on the years it has ran in the past 10 years. You'll find that the Drainage was in the 110% range at least. Zbaird also has a point that has hosed me before. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote