Old 04-18-2010   #1
Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Dolores Questions???

I'm tentatively planning a Slickrock -Bedrock tandem canoe trip with my 12 year old son this Friday -Sunday to take advantage of these unexpected (by most, thanks for the heads up by the few!!!) early natural flows and have a few questions for anybody familar with that nieghborhood.
1. Will these flows keep up or lesson through the end of this week? The slickrock gauge is at 1470 right now I know all you rafters and kayakers would be excited at that level and higher but in my open boat(dagger caption) with gear and kid I might be more comfortable at 550 to 850cfs.
2.Is old hwy 90 over the umcompadre plateau open this time of year between Montrose and Naturita? I think that might be my fastest route from Leadville.
3.Are any of the shuttle services given on the BLM Dolores website up and running?BLM Colorado | Field Offices San Juan Public Lands Center | Dolores River Information
as always thanks for any info team MtBuzz

Tkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010   #2
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The top of the Plateau is still snowed in. Don't go 90.

kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #3
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
The water will be cold. We fished two ducky boaters out in April a few years ago who were turning grey and barely moving after swimming for just a few minutes. Their group had to stop and make a fire to bring them around. If you think there is a chance for a swim, might want to consider neoprene.
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010   #4
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
shuttle service

Don't know if it will hold this week with the weather? Just got off it this weekend 2000cfs
at bedrock! What a hoot! 2000cfs on a stream 1/4 the size of the Animas it was all good.
There is a shuttle service offered but dang it I don't have their number. It is posted at the 141 bridge put in (private property). if you would arrive a day in advance and get something arranged, but don't rely on showing up that day and expect a shuttle? Hope this helps?
Who's pickn' the banjo here?
Hellbender is offline   Reply With Quote