Old 07-07-2009   #31
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
some dogs are not meant for the river, mine is! we take him on class -2 and 3 with a PFD, Its OUR choice to bring him.. we absolutely make sure he is with us at all times(on leash while in any communal ares), and on a couple of occasions he has alerted us to either people coming into our camp while sleeping or the coyotes near checking things out... he is a family member in every sense of the word.. he has his shots and minds very well, unlike a few people I have met on the river... who should have stood home...

I tend to agree with smonty75...

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #32
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
River dogs....

Originally Posted by leo_amore View Post
I don't get out as much as much as I would like too....but, the last 2 times that I have floated the Upper C, someone has lost their dog at Yarrmony. 2 weeks ago there was a succesful, I am not sure how things turned out (commercial trip, brown lab lost, please let me know if anyone knows if he/she was found).
I always float with my dog, except where permits or water (read-my skill level) may prohibit. He always wears his life jacket, it has a handle to pull him back in the boat. And when we head into something that has consequence, he sits down on the floor and someone has a hand on him.
Dogs follow us obediently where we want them to go, and they love the River. But please people, take care of them. Respect their abilities to swim and take the same precautions that you would take for anyone on your boat.
I had one river dog that actually loved to surf and new how to high side, in fact he was the "last man standing" on more then one occasion. He even launched off of "jump rock" with me on the New River years ago.... He died of stomach complications two summers ago an miss him dearly.

I have a new dog now and he is quickly becoming a happy river dog, he used to quiver and grimmace at every rappid, but after his tenth trip or so he has learned to lower himself below the tubes and to brace himself. He always has a PFD on and I dont take him in any water Im not familiar and confident on. He swam widow maker on Browns one time and actually got right in an eddy and was on the tracks before I had a chance to go looking for him.

I would say a good rule of thumb is don't take your dog anywhere you wouldnt want to swim yourself, always make sure they are wearing a PFD and don't let them ride "high" while entering a decent size drop or whole...

veeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #33
timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Take them on your boat if you want to...but keep them leashed at the put-ins/take-outs. I get really sick of dealing with dogs as I rig up, or break down my raft.

I agree with this dude. I loved having my dog with me and she loved the river. She rafted with me her entire 12 years of life. Haven't got another one yet. However, she was NEVER allowed to run around the launch sites or wander campsites where others were near by.

The other day I was mildly annoyed (not pissed) when a muddy mutt jumped in my freshly cleaned raft and then proceeded to jump on my dry box so he could attempt to jump in my lap. I was just chillin' in the captains chair waiting for my crew to use the restrooms one last time prior to launch. After I booted him off the raft he runs over and attacks another dog that was tied up by a responsible owner. People need to realize that they are the only ones that are responsible for their pets and no one else wants to deal with them.

That said, most dogs love the river and if you take responsibility for them, bring em' along. Both my brother and I have always taken our dogs with PFD's on. They have never caused a problem and absolutely love it. Hell if you know dogs at all, you would know that it hurts their feelings to leave them home. My brothers dog flips out the moment she see's him pull out the hand pump to tighten shit up, its the exact same reaction she has when he pulls out a shot gun to go bird hunting.

You dog haters have no idea what dogs are all about. The people that let their dogs run around like assholes need to learn some common courtesy, you're giving good dogs a bad name!

yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote