Old 07-06-2009   #11
Broomfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
This thread has come up so many times its a broken record. And like that broken record, I'm going to chime in with the response because I feel pretty strongly about this: LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME! AND THEN I WON'T HAVE TO READ THESE SAD STORIES CAUSED BY IRRESPONSIBLE DUMB ASS DOG OWNERS!
Question? Who are you to dictate to others how they should enjoy life. For some people, they want their dog to be apart of their experience. Accepting the risks of the river is a choice that everyone of us makes. Yes you can argue that the dog has no choice. But given the option, I bet our dogs would choose to be with us any and everywhere we go. I am also willing to bet that if/when you have an accident on the river the last thing that you need/want is to be called an "irresponsible dumb ass"! Life is about being with the ones you love the most. For some of us that is our dogs. So protect them the best you can (PFD!) and let them live life too.

smonty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #12
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
All you people with kids leave them at home to please I hate the little brats running around making noise and bugging me when I am getting my drink on. Kids will cry and moan that they dont want to go on the river ( well only some kids) but you Irresponile parents are taking you own kids down the river that could pose the same problems for the kids as well as the dogs.
Like I said before there is a time and place for every thing My dog goes on every trip that I feel is safe for him and were there are not going to be many people so he does not have to be leashed even though he only goes 20 yrd befor getting scared and runs back to my side.
But I think we are losing track of this post. Any word on the dog?

dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #13
Fairplay, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The dog, yes. I am hoping to hear of a happy outcome. I was just so astonished by the situation I was hoping to hear of some news on Mountainbuzz.
Mali Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #14
Golden, Colorado
I take my dogs when I'm rafting. Think about it... if you get really stuck someplace and you are starving then you will be a lot better off if you have a dog with you. You can cook him or you can even eat him raw. You can cut the leftovers into thin strips and let them cure in the sun and they will keep for at least a couple of weeks while you wait for help.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #15
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Or if you had my husky she'd catch all the rodents you could eat and just leave 'em for you to clean and cook!! What a great plan
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #16
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Or if you had my husky she'd catch all the rodents you could eat and just leave 'em for you to clean and cook!! What a great plan
I like that better. My dogs are Chihuahuas so they don't have much meat on them. They caught a squirrel in the back yard this summer so maybe I could just let them loose and see what they catch.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #17
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If you let some chihuahuas run loose around here they'd probably catch a little coyote or a nice juicy mountain lion!
-Τὸ χόβερκράφτ μου εἶναι γεμᾶτο χέλια!
bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #18
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

Dogs love Camp! Not Boating!They Don't Have Thumbs so they Can't Hold On! The People(Mostly Guys) Who bring their Dogs, Do it Mostly for THE STATUS.It's that Look At Me thing that alot of Guy's have.
As Well As the complete incompetence,Of most recreational boaters these days.Some of you think a DFD is going to save your Buddy? Like all PFD's it will not keep them from going under. And in the event they do have to swim to the side, The HANDLE GETS CAUGHT IN THE TAMMY'S etc...
Side Note; If you are going to bring the toilet, Put "ALL THE SHIT " In it.
6 People PLUS 3 Dogs is More Than Six User Days?
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #19
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
leave the dogs at home
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #20
Denver, Colorado
Take them on your boat if you want to...but keep them leashed at the put-ins/take-outs. I get really sick of dealing with dogs as I rig up, or break down my raft.

Cherno is offline   Reply With Quote