Old 05-06-2009   #11
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Also, it never hurts to have some knowledge on Canine CPR and First Aid. Our local CMC taught a class...look into it in your area as they may have's always good to be prepared for the worse case scenario out there in wild country...

calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #12
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
There are no bad dogs, just really bad owners.

"without love day to day insanity's king"--Hunter/Garcia
tboe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #13
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Dog PFDs.
Speaking of which, what brand PFD's for dogs are people having good luck with? I have a 75 lb lab, and he went through two PFD's last year. The handle on the back keeps tearing off from me dragging him back into the boat. Anyone use the NRS version, or have any other good suggestions?
WestSlopeWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #14
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I use the NRS for my dog:

NRS Canine Flotation Device (CFD)

Have a 100lb German Shepherd and it has worked great, and been durable. But I kayak and have not had to drag him back into a raft with the handle more than like twice so not sure about durability from that angle......
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #15
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by willieboater View Post
To me-that's the owners fault not the dog's fault. That's why I get grumpy with some dog owners. I've been dog-less in my entire life for only 2 years (1st two years of college), so its a big deal to lose privileges I've been fortunate to have due to actions of irresponsible dog owners. I have a valid reason for wanting my dog with me. I'm deaf and rely on them a great deal(especially when I solo)-my dogs over the years have spotted cougars (been stalked on the Rogue), warned me about bears in camp, and definitely kept me from stepping on the buzzworms. I've been struck at twice and nearly stepped on one-those were when I didn't have my dog with me.
If your dog is a trained service dog then they are allowed to go any where you want to take them. My sister has a service dog and my folks had check in to it to make sure if we wanted to we could take him on any trip we wanted. The rangers might act tough at first but dont want to get slaped with a law suit
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by calendar16 View Post
Also, it never hurts to have some knowledge on Canine CPR and First Aid. Our local CMC taught a class...look into it in your area as they may have's always good to be prepared for the worse case scenario out there in wild country...
Unfortunately, humans are much harder to train than dogs... but Willie, your dog certainly qualifies as a service dog.

Here's a doggie first aid kit suggestion that was posted on Utah Rafters a while back. Thought it might be helpful...

For cuts, superficial or deep:

Triple Antibiotic ointment (apply liberally)
telfa nonstick pads
cling gauze (not too tight)
vetwrap (stretchy stick to itself wrap)
elasticon (use at top and bottom of vetwrap to stick to skin)
The bandage can be left on for several days if it doesn't get wet (tricky on a river). Change daily if gets wet.
amoxicillin ( 5mg per pound twice daily)

pain, buffered aspirin, 1 tablet per 60# once daily.
Consult your vet if you want to take something stronger.

Kaopectate, 1/2 to 1 ml per pound every two to six hours
Loperamide HCl (imodium) one 2mg tablet per 40 pounds body weight

First try withholding food and water for 12 to 24 hours
Next try pepcid, dose is one 10 mg tablet per 100# every 12 hours (unless you have a moose sized dog you will need to cut the tablet. Put on hard surface and cut with a knife).

Conjunctivitis use a tube of BNP ophthalmic ointment, apply two to three times daily. The stuff is inexpensive and available from your vet.

otitis panalog twice daily. Squirt into the ear canal and rub in well.
To prevent otitis, use alcohol or swim ear in ear once or twice daily.

Can also use panalog on superficial skin lesions.

We've been over the fish hook scenario. If you are unable to remove the hook, I would bandage the area until you get home.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #17
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I recently asked for the rationale on the San Juan, and they said it was partially due to the river being a "linear wilderness". I think that's a good way to describe how impacts can be so great since there is so little room on land, and dogs would surely trample more than if they had a lot of room to move.

As far as the service dog, I'd make sure to get a letter from the administrator of the agency, to show someone who hassles you. Paper may not matter, but a letter from one of the big bosses will likely go a long way. Not just some lackey in the office that the range doesn't know, but the person in charge, or at least near the top so they recognize the name and authority.

We use the Ruffwear PFD's and really like them. We also have harnesses on the pups on flat water/hot days so we still have a quasi-handle feature, but they don't have to swelter in the PFD.

As much as I hate the no-dog rule, in some places it does seem to make sense, where impact would be huge. Some places it just seems stupid.

I think you can add the Rogue to the dog friendly list, and the Flathead in Montana, pretty much any river in Montana except the Smith has a leash law which is only a precursor to banning dogs. Don't get me started on that stupid one!

And you have to be diligent to walk around and look for poop in the AM before you put the groover away. Most don't won't go far, we have one great picture of 3 piles in a perfect row in the sand on the Lower Salmon last year. That sure was easy! We also always pick up other poo to try to make up for some we inevitably miss.

On first aid, we also do the Rattlesnake vaccine and the same guy on the Utah group posted what he would do (as a vet) knowing you aren't going to be able to get to a vet in a timely manner.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #18
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
the colorado river: from ruby horsetheif/loma town run (including through westwater, and through the daily) to the boat ramp at lions park in moab, UT
great rapids, great flatwater, and great campsites!

its mostly BLM land. thats the kicker. any further south past potash and you are getting into NF land and dogs are not allowed.

my cattledog mutt loves to get out and boat

the arkansas is also mostly dog friendly. we run parkdale and the gorge sometimes. browns is great too. not sure id recommended the numbers or pine creek with your dog. the AHRA is strict about alot of things, just pay your parking and camp fees and theyre okay with ya.

ive seen alot of dogs at the camp below gore too- wonder if people keep them in the boat for that little ball of gnar??? my dog is pretty much a badass as far as riverdogs go-i just dont know if he could hang (or selfrescue for that matter) in a section like gore...
just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #19
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
I really like the idea of a canine first aid kit. Knickson uses a ruffwear PFD and he seems to like it a lot. It doubles as a harness if you need to leash him, but the D ring is unobtrusive. I like to put something on his pads at night so that they don't chaffe, especially on longer trips.

So far I have:
YES - Colorado River down to potash; Arkansas River; Middle Fork, Lower, and Main Salmon River; Flathead River; Deso-Grey; Roaring Fork River

NO-Colorado River, Potash down; Gates of Lodore; San Juan River
Emmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #20
Durango, Colorado
Deso is only dog friendly after Aug 15.

You can also add the Salt to the dog friendly list.

It really sucks that the San Juan isn't.

storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote