Old 01-28-2007   #11
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dogs are definately way better than kids. It's too bad I can't clone my dog...they'd sell for thousands. She looks like a Rottweiler puppy, is the fasted fifteen pounds you ever seen, plays fetch until your arm hurts, points, runs beside your bike, hikes fourteeners, keeps your feet warm at night and is all around the most loving and cutest thing alive.

I've been gone four months and miss my dog almost as much as my wife.

But if you get one, go to the pound and give one a home. My little Gizmo was about to put down when we saved her six years ago. When I think about it it makes me nauseous that such a creature could come to such a cold and informal end.

Advantages to little dog:
can sneek into hotels
can't destroy furniture as rapidly
people are less afraid
eats less, smaller shit piles
less of a nuisance in the car and takes us less room
takes us less room on couch/in bed
even if dog flips out, not much damage to victim
easier to handle on leash

Advantages to big dog:
can run in deeper snow
can defend you from bears
guard dog

I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #12
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have two chocolate labs. No, you can not leave them at put ins but if you do easy trips and they are right with you, it is very rewarding. Fun camping with them also. Just make sure you choose a breed that likes to swim! A non swimmer could be a problem!

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #13
, Colorado
The key is to find a girlfriend and/or boyfriend (depending on your preferences) who likes to camp, but doesn't kayak. Then you bring them all with you and kayak without worrying about what your dogs are up to. If you are in the market, I'd recommend Lifeline Puppy Rescue in Thornton. They only have homeless puppies, and it can be hard to find a good young puppy at Dumb Friends League. Beware that they might not know the breed though. I thought I was getting a Newfie pup, but then he didn't grow into a 200lb slobbering beast, only a chubby, stubby legged 60lb flat coated retriever mix with one ear that sticks up and one that doesn't...but he's a great dog although he's deathly afraid of swimming. Whatever you do don't get one from a pet store...they get dogs from puppy mills and you don't want to support that, not to mention they usually have all kinds of health problems from the inbreeding and filthy, confined living conditions.
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #14
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
A good blue or red heeler is the best dog... Arguable yes as I know many great dogs.. but I won't ever own another type. They are smart as HELL, love water, SUPER protective (but not aggressive), small (45 lbs is a big one), don't run away, and best of all, they are purely one person dogs. I can be in a crowd of a 100 people and my two heelers know exactly where I am at all times. They don't listen to others, and are genuine buddies.

Like mentioned above don't get them at a pet store.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #15
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Puppy Mills

Don't use Lifeline Puppy Rescue they are a puppy mill. They buy puppys from breeding mills in the surounding states- that's why they don't "rescue" dogs from Colorado. My wife and I bought a dog from them and it died 10 days after we brought it home. Willie was at our home for 3 days before he started vomiting blood and spent the rest of his life dying at the vets office. About $1000 later. He died of Pravo Virus. A very common problem with mass produced dogs. We were tipped off as to what Lifeline really was all about when we talked with several vet clinic around the area. When we took a step back and thought about it- it really started to make sense. How are these guys saving 50-90 puppies a weekend? They are buying them out of state and selling them here.

After a few months of cleaning the house with bleach and the surrounding area around to house. We went to Dumb Friends and they were great. If you really want to save a dog - start at Dumb Friends.

Dogs rule and they make your life better. It's work, but it's worth it.

That's it, I'm out to go play with the pouch.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #16
pnw, Washington
I will get back to your original question. I am always worried my dog will get too hot. Many people have systems to fix that and keep the dog cool. I just have never had the right vehicle so unless my wife goes with me the pooches stay home. I usually take them for a good walk before I go and hope they sleep while I am gone. Hopefully you find something that works for you but be prepared, any relationship requires work.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #17
Indian Hills, Colorado
Any suggestions for keeping shorthair breeds warm in the truck during cold ski trips? Piles of blanets work, but I'm thinking of something more engineered.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #18
Wiggy's in GJ makes a dog coat that is made of the same material as their sleeping bags. They are well designed and keep the pup very toasty. I always take it on winter trips. Cabella's also makes a wetsuit for dogs that works very well under a CFD. Both items are about $50 and well worth it if your dog gets nearly as many river miles as you do. A couple of years ago my dog Wilson, a read healer, even scored a MFS trip that I wasn't able to go on. He loves the camping and tollerates the rafting, and is by far the most reliable boating partner I have. He is also a pound puppy. I will never have another kind. If you do decide to start looking for a dog I would highly recomend taking someone with you that has experience picking dog. Don't get a puppy unless you need an excuse to buy all new shoes. All the dogs I have gotten have been about 1yr old and I have not had any problem training or bonding with them. It is vey important to expose your new dog to as many situations and people as possible in durring the first period of getting them. If you train them early to stay with other people it makes farming them out when you get a Grand invite much easier. When I drop mine off at a friends house he wave from the porch and says see ya when you get back. No separation anxiety or other issues. Most of the time the people I leave him with don't want to give him back. Good luck.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007   #19
Your worry about dogs getting too hot is definitely a concern if you are leaving them in the car unless you have truck with a topper. I've left my dog many times and she has been fine. The topper does not heat up like a car does in the sun, you can leave the windows open. I also usually let her run/swim after a ball before hand which gets her tired and wet and helps to keep her cool. I guess if you don't already have the vehicle then it could be an expensive dog.
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #20
G.J., CO
Paddling Since: 1990
Do what I do get a raft, buy a doggie lifejacket and take it along!

Eddy Groover is offline   Reply With Quote