Old 03-03-2005   #11
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I have 2 labs and I take them on most trips except for Westwater +. They run along shoshone etc. If its possible that I might swim, I want to watch out for me and not be responsible or have others be responsible for my girls.

They do whine which is a pain in the neck but I find it is because they would rather swim.

On great warm days, that is great but can be a huge nuisance if the weather is not good. Splashing in and out in and out with the HANDLE pfd's of course. I tend to play it by ear depending on the trip.

It's always a gamble but it is great having them enjoy the days with you!

akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #12
My dog loves to swim, you can't keep her out of the water. We got her a PFD last year and she goes nuts when I get it out.

She does not like to be in a boat however. She'll ride around the lake with me in my canoe, but she's always looking to jump out. I wouldn't recommend much of a trip with your dog until you know for sure how it will react-it could really ruin your day if they hate it, as we found out.

We took her down what was supposed to be a short, see how she does, normally class I/II river, though it was a remote canyon. Turned out spring run off made at least one rapid a class III. She went to jump out, right in the middle of it and my natural instinct was to stop her with my paddle. I was stern, so obviously this was a bad mistake. Not only did she jump out, but we flipped. We didn't have floatation like dummies, so I tried to save my canoe. Got pretty cut up, (got stitches later in the day), but got the canoe. Of course it was smashed to bits after I finally pulled it out, lol. Then we had to hike out of this canyon. It was not fun!

She has to wait at camp now!

Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005   #13
Denver, Colorado
dogs and boating

I'm thinking about getting a dog, and would want one that would enjoys water and could be taken on a raft or open boat. I know that labs are water-friendly. Would anyone recommend any other breeds? Or even characteristics, because I don't really care if the dog is purebred.

mallecai is offline   Reply With Quote