Mountain Buzz banner

Dog ?

4K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  gh 
#1 ·
What would you do?

I took my four year old out for a hike on Saturday to indulge in two of his favorits activities. Throwing sticks in the water to watch them go over the waves and throwing rocks at everything. Were about a mile in the canyon when we were surrounded by four dogs, Hackles up, barking and trying to get at us. I put my son behind me and picked up a big rock and a chunck of metal bar that was on the ground. The dogs kept coming at us until the owners came up and called them, and then looked at me like I was crazy for being mad at them.

The dogs were a chocolate lab, a wiemeriener(SP?) and a couple muts. Not typically mean dogs.

Should I have launched the rock at one of their heads, lanched a rock at the owners, or what. I'm thinking about getting some mace, but then a dog gets hurt when really it's the stupid owners fault.

Those of you who know me, know I love dogs and recently had to put down my long time friend who spent 12 happy years with us in many camp sites. I'm just truying to figure out what a good response is to people who are this inconsiderate. Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
What would you do?

I took my four year old out for a hike on Saturday to indulge in two of his favorits activities. Throwing sticks in the water to watch them go over the waves and throwing rocks at everything. Were about a mile in the canyon when we were surrounded by four dogs, Hackles up, barking and trying to get at us. I put my son behind me and picked up a big rock and a chunck of metal bar that was on the ground. The dogs kept coming at us until the owners came up and called them, and then looked at me like I was crazy for being mad at them.

The dogs were a chocolate lab, a wiemeriener(SP?) and a couple muts. Not typically mean dogs.

Should I have launched the rock at one of their heads, lanched a rock at the owners, or what. I'm thinking about getting some mace, but then a dog gets hurt when really it's the stupid owners fault.

Those of you who know me, know I love dogs and recently had to put down my long time friend who spent 12 happy years with us in many camp sites. I'm just truying to figure out what a good response is to people who are this inconsiderate. Suggestions?
\

I am a local dog trainer of 10 years. What most people dont realize is that dogs can make bad decisions, espoecially as a new pack is forming. If someone has no control of their dog, they should be on leash. No exceptions, me included. I have 2 pitbulls and a boxer and my male can be dog aggressive, he is always on leash. However, I am constantly confronted with off leash dogs with no training who run up and get in his face. You have to protect those you love, dogs and people. Do whatever you can and if that means confronting the dog physically to avoid injury, do it. The number one biting dog right now in Colorado is the Labrador retiever, because there are so many. Point is, any dog can be aggressive.

#3 ·
Seems to me like you did the right thing. You were prepared to defend yourself and your son but waited until it was absolutely necessary. Fortunately, it didn't come to that.

#4 ·
There are laws on the books to handle this.

And another "tear in my beer" story. Between campsite stealers, gun shootin boaters, and now a rabid lab I am amazed any ranger would brave a trip out side of their fav local mall.

I just though that I would post that while in Denver the other day at one of the great malls down there someone stole my parking spot. Now I was going to post on here about it, and I thought about shooting the soccer mom. Instead I found another spot. Problem solved. Amazing how that works.

Funny shit - I love the entertainment on the buzz

#5 ·
What would you do?

One more tip. If you are concerned about it happening again, carry a squirt bottle with half vinegar, half water. It is a great low level deterent without hurting the dog.

#6 ·
With dogs its all about attitude, well with RDNEK's too. Never show weakness, hold your ground and if you are an idiot like me. You yell profanity at them. Works everytime.

#7 ·
i think the fact that there was a pack of dogs changes the dynamic. when a single dog gets aggro it's usually b/c they are scarerd. when it's a pack it could be they are hunting.... you. i'd say give one of them a good kick in the ribs and the dynamic will change. it's funny, the same holds true for ********.

#8 ·
In my opinion you did the right thing. You had no idea how aggressive the dogs were going to be. Growing up working on a ranch I have seen domestic dogs of various breeds be amazingly aggressive towards live stock and humans and it’s just great to hear the owners say Oh my dog is friendly and wouldn’t hurt a thing…..Again I think you did the right thing protection of your son was the most important issue at the moment

#9 ·
Pack o dogs

Yes, I highly recommend pepper spray, as it will have the desired affect and shouldn't have any lasting problems.

Dogs key into body language, tall posture, moving toward them yelling, staring them in the eyes, are all aggressive actions. If you want to try to intimidate the dogs, do those. It's hard to throw something at a dog and hit it, but this is also agressive. If you want to act as if you are no threat. Crunch down sideways (that is how dogs approach each other to be friendly, not head on) and look away or down. If you want to touch them, go for under the chin, over the head is dominant. It's your call on how to act, and that's a tough call. I usually act submissive unless the dog is already at me, and is being agressive. The run up is usually just a lot of noise.

Lastly - bitch out the owners, tell them that they didn't have control of their dogs, and that you felt threatened. It's just like kids, a group together can act totally different than individuals.

#10 ·
I keep a revolver in my first aid kit..........not to necessarily to shoot the dogs with, mind you...........but to get their (and their owners) attention. A warning shot or two, then take um out if the threat is still coming. Dog bites suck..........I have a pit chow mix, so I too love dogs..........just not in packs.

#11 ·
I think mace sounds absoloutly brilliant............ even though it sounds like the owners are the ones who deserved to get sprayed! A rock may potentially be deadly or in some cases may provoke the dogs more- however, as a responsable dog owner myself you and your pup should not half to suffer because of other idiots and thier neglected, vicious mutts.
Happy trails-

#12 ·
RedNek, Your right. I just was still stewing about it this morning. Through life I've led with my fists too much. I was mad I couldn't do the same this weekend, but don't want to teach my kid to be like me. Probably the wrong forum, but I appreciate everyones feedback. I'll keep it focused to boating from here out.

#13 ·
The idea of kicking the dog brought back memories. I did that to an off-leash dog that was going psycho on me and nipping at my ankles. Kicking the dog ended up being a mistake. I thought that dog would be easy to kick ass on but it jumped on me and bit my hand down to the bone. I had it by the neck and tried to kill it but that is hard to do with your bare hands. They are really squirmy and they have sharp teeth. The dog won the fight.

#14 ·
Do whatever you have to do to defend yourself. The other owner was out of line - if you let your dog off leash, you have to take responsibility for them doing things like that and them getting stoned or maced is part of the risk. Dogs that are off leash and seriously violent towards other dogs can even be shot by cops if they are in an area where they pose a threat to people. No free lunch. With freedom comes responsibility.

#15 ·
I wear a bell so the dogs hear me coming and aren't startled. If they're still adopting an aggressive posture, I try to intimidate them by opening up my jacket and appearing much bigger than I am. Also, holding a white piece of paper in front of your lower face can lend the appearance of large teeth.

If all fails and they charge, it's best to collapse into the fetal position and play dead. It's possible to outrun them if you can run down a steep pitch...they are top heavy and will tumble. Just be sure to get out of the way or be crushed by 1200 of dog!

Wait, wrong deadly animal.

Dogs? Just kick them in the head. Unless the thing is rabid I think a boot to da dome is going to change its mind about biting you. If it clamps on, go for the eyes. Rip them out of its skull. This gives you digital access to the walnut sized brain. You can pluck it right out, too, then the dog goes limp like a robot with no juice. Then you get to fight the dog owner, too. Different kill strategy there. I could tell you, but I've been sworn to secrecy by the government. Think five-point-palm-exploding-heart-technique...only adapted to the groin. Exploding gonads technique. Game Over, man.

I remember the time I had to kill a purse dog with my bare hands. Damn thing went right for my throat -- lept right out of the purse. Luckily, I snatched it right out of the air like Jerry Rice and ripped its head clean off. The bourgeois bitch watched in stunned horror as I tucked the little pieces back in her purse and helped myself to a Hamilton for my trouble.

I think you should have seized the opportunity to teach your son how to instinctively kill without remorse. A family that kills together stays together. Maybe next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.