Old 06-11-2007   #11
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think mace sounds absoloutly brilliant............ even though it sounds like the owners are the ones who deserved to get sprayed! A rock may potentially be deadly or in some cases may provoke the dogs more- however, as a responsable dog owner myself you and your pup should not half to suffer because of other idiots and thier neglected, vicious mutts.
Happy trails-

Originally Posted by Canada View Post
What would you do?

I took my four year old out for a hike on Saturday to indulge in two of his favorits activities. Throwing sticks in the water to watch them go over the waves and throwing rocks at everything. Were about a mile in the canyon when we were surrounded by four dogs, Hackles up, barking and trying to get at us. I put my son behind me and picked up a big rock and a chunck of metal bar that was on the ground. The dogs kept coming at us until the owners came up and called them, and then looked at me like I was crazy for being mad at them.

The dogs were a chocolate lab, a wiemeriener(SP?) and a couple muts. Not typically mean dogs.

Should I have launched the rock at one of their heads, lanched a rock at the owners, or what. I'm thinking about getting some mace, but then a dog gets hurt when really it's the stupid owners fault.

Those of you who know me, know I love dogs and recently had to put down my long time friend who spent 12 happy years with us in many camp sites. I'm just truying to figure out what a good response is to people who are this inconsiderate. Suggestions?

shuttelhunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #12
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
RedNek, Your right. I just was still stewing about it this morning. Through life I've led with my fists too much. I was mad I couldn't do the same this weekend, but don't want to teach my kid to be like me. Probably the wrong forum, but I appreciate everyones feedback. I'll keep it focused to boating from here out.

Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #13
Golden, Colorado
The idea of kicking the dog brought back memories. I did that to an off-leash dog that was going psycho on me and nipping at my ankles. Kicking the dog ended up being a mistake. I thought that dog would be easy to kick ass on but it jumped on me and bit my hand down to the bone. I had it by the neck and tried to kill it but that is hard to do with your bare hands. They are really squirmy and they have sharp teeth. The dog won the fight.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #14
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Do whatever you have to do to defend yourself. The other owner was out of line - if you let your dog off leash, you have to take responsibility for them doing things like that and them getting stoned or maced is part of the risk. Dogs that are off leash and seriously violent towards other dogs can even be shot by cops if they are in an area where they pose a threat to people. No free lunch. With freedom comes responsibility.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #15
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I wear a bell so the dogs hear me coming and aren't startled. If they're still adopting an aggressive posture, I try to intimidate them by opening up my jacket and appearing much bigger than I am. Also, holding a white piece of paper in front of your lower face can lend the appearance of large teeth.

If all fails and they charge, it's best to collapse into the fetal position and play dead. It's possible to outrun them if you can run down a steep pitch...they are top heavy and will tumble. Just be sure to get out of the way or be crushed by 1200 of dog!

Wait, wrong deadly animal.

Dogs? Just kick them in the head. Unless the thing is rabid I think a boot to da dome is going to change its mind about biting you. If it clamps on, go for the eyes. Rip them out of its skull. This gives you digital access to the walnut sized brain. You can pluck it right out, too, then the dog goes limp like a robot with no juice. Then you get to fight the dog owner, too. Different kill strategy there. I could tell you, but I've been sworn to secrecy by the government. Think five-point-palm-exploding-heart-technique...only adapted to the groin. Exploding gonads technique. Game Over, man.

I remember the time I had to kill a purse dog with my bare hands. Damn thing went right for my throat -- lept right out of the purse. Luckily, I snatched it right out of the air like Jerry Rice and ripped its head clean off. The bourgeois bitch watched in stunned horror as I tucked the little pieces back in her purse and helped myself to a Hamilton for my trouble.

I think you should have seized the opportunity to teach your son how to instinctively kill without remorse. A family that kills together stays together. Maybe next time.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #16
pnw, Washington
I was thinking maybe "bit" its head off, ozzie style would have worked better

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote