Old 05-21-2008   #11
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
I did this section last year when at 3800 and took three guys who had never rowed a boat before. I let all three row the whole thing with no problem-maybe the picked up a little quicker than the average but I wouldn't be concerned. Eye of the needle is under water several feet at this level and so is the hot spring-bummer! Just keep it straight and enjoy the wave trains. I have no idea what people are talking about when they mentions raft flipper at Yarmony. Did not even notice this on my trip down.
In '96 I let a supposedly experienced dude row my boat thru Yarmony at 6k plus. He flipped us. The big rock in the middle of Yarmony gets a huge lateral that creates a big hole that flips supposedly experienced dudes. Just keep your stern hugging the left shoreline, your bow will pretty much hang over the edge of the hole, you will keep pulling back, back, back, it's not even hard to pull back, you just have to do it! As soon as you let your jaw drop, and forget to row, while you're saying "Oh wow, man, look at the size of that ho............", you'll go straight down into the hole and flip let over right sooner than you can say "......ole". The water is cold, too.

captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #12
Yarmony rapid can be scouted, eddy river left

emr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
She is pumping. Over 5000 as of last night and still there today. However, it is snowing right now in Fairplay, and I assume similar weather up in the Grand County area, so maybe it will drop some before the weekend.

My plans have changed and we will be putting on Saturday after all. We are going to try to run shuttle Friday night if anyone is interested.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #14
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
we will be up there Friday night and scoring a campsite by Radium, probably in the trees on the left before hitting radium and doing a shuttle on Saturday. The early arriving party is going to do a scout on Friday and let us know what is haoppening on the rivermaybe we will see you there on Saturday

pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote