Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-24-2007   #11
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Yeah 800, I am a fellow Summit County-er. I park a lot and am happy to have you come along. Drop me a PM. But I find park folk really helpful. And yeah, like most folks have said, its an OK place to swim, PROVIDED there is enough traffic in the park to help should you need it. For example, I paddle the lower Salida wave A LOT (super friendly), but I am not thrilled to be the only gal down there. So jump in, but don't be stupid about it! And don't be afraid to ask folks to spot your practice rolls, or give you some critique. Most folks are super friendly and can quickly sort out those who are not!

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I think gh hit the idea of having an "automatic" roll on one side. Start by dialing in your strong side, the side someone taught you to roll on. Take it to the park, take it to class III (if comfortable with that idea). Especially in the park, start learning your off-side, semi-automatic roll by stepping through what you already know on the other side. Before you know it, it will become reliable, if not quite as automatic as your on-side roll. You will have to think about it more, but it will eventially start to feel comfortable.
Golden is great for learning, and swimming. There are quite a few drops in a row up at the top, all with eddies and usually several boaters in each to lend a hand if needed...

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #13
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Why roll when you can go swimming?

I have a bad tendancy to use my strongside roll with or without a paddle. I think one needs both side and the old discipline thing of making one's self get out there and work on the weakside is sometimes lacking in a lot of boaters, me included. I did find making myself do hand rolls on both sides helped overall in conditioning muscle memory though.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #14
Golden, Colorado
Don't worry about anyone making fun of you for swimming. I have never seen that happen. Also, I've never paddled with anyone who heckled me for swimming. When someone swims the normal reaction is relief when they make it to shore.

Almost everyone swims. If they don't swim then that is OK: either they are God's gift to whitewater paddling or they have chosen the mellow route and they don't paddle for the adrenaline, but for the scenery.

The only season that I didn't have a swim was 2002 during a 100 year drought when every creek and river in Colorado peaked at all-time lows.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #15
Gunnison, Colorado
Yeah, the off-side roll is sweet to have. I usually just set up on the side i'm going over on. not sure if that's right though. The biggest help is when you're rolling "against the current." I'm not sure exactly how it works, but sometimes it's a pain to get your paddle right on one side whereas it's super easy and you can get more leverage on the other side. Sorry if that makes no sense, maybe some other boaters have experienced the same thing and can explain it better. About the parks, don't worry about it. It's not as big of a deal as you think. As long as you're having fun on the river, it doesn't really matter if you can huck all the tricks or roll up everytime. It's a great place to learn because alot of the better boaters won't mind giving you helpful tips if you ask them.

riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote