Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-26-2004   #1
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Do you guys think that Clear Creek has peaked?

I am just wondering. Its warm out and there seems to be some snow left on the range. The guages are showing that the water is going down. Or is black hawk taking out a ton water for their road project..... If i am not mistaken Golden should be about 20% higher than the dumont lawson gauge?

thanks, ben

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004   #2
Lyons, Colorado
I think it has peaked. I talked with the water commissioner for ButtonRock today, which is the St Vrain drainage and he thought the water has peaked there already. There may be a 2 day blip if we get a few 80 degree days in a row, but that is about it. We ran Black Rock last night though and it is still a blast at this level, so get on while you can!

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004   #3
It's peaked. Pretty much the whole state has peaked. A few places may still have something ot offer, but I think that this years big melt came a full month premature. THat's why I didn't buy a new boat this year. check out this link to the State Snowpack level: http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/dat...otstate04.html

and the bar graph for each river basin seperately: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/...ph.pl?state=CO

the next one show the South Platte basin which Clear Creak is a part of: http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/basinplotsp04.gif

Today this area is at 27% of average; about 1/4 the snowpack it should still have.

Stick a fork in it's a$$, turn it over, it's done.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004   #4
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by Ed Hansen
THat's why I didn't buy a new boat this year.
That's why the boat I did buy this year already looks like it's four years old.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #5
Ok, call me the devil's advocate, or ridiculously optimistic, but I think it went down due to the cold front this weekend, and clear creek has yet to peak. Actually, I bet we still have several weeks before clear creek peaks. You can call me an idiot in mid-June if I'm wrong.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004   #6
I can predict the future too

Bit better year than 2002 for S. Platte, which had 2 puny "peaks" in low to mid 200s; the second in mid june; I think there were some heavy rains then. Anyway, things were kindof finished that year in town i.e. around 150 by 1st of July. But probably near peak it has maybe with another soon when it starts to get really hot--the last of the snow at Loveland etc. Crystal ball says goodbye to 200's before end of June.

Yampa has peaked.. Arkansas basin is probably one of the best out there but with all the diversions and thirsty bluegrass...who knows.

Every year we are the disgrace of the neighborhood. This year we'll do it brown again. What is it about watching the rivers that tends to make you abandon your sprinklers.

Still, have fun, there is always somewhere a river to enyoy.
danab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I doubt things have peaked. Runoff was shut down by the storm around the 15th and haven't really recovered since. Wait'll we get a few days of 90 degrees in Denver again.

Chris Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #8
Evergreen, Colorado
I was up at the divide last night and their still is a good bit of snow, but it was still really cold up there. I looked at the weather when I got home and saw that last night the temperature would be above freezing.... sure enough we have 50 more CFS today. I think that once is stays above freezing up there for a few nights then we will see a good bit more water. So I dont think that it has peaked either.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004   #9
COmparing the 2001 snowpack and other historical data the creek should NOT have peaked yet. From the sources on this web-site i'd say June 17-20 @ 650 cfs.
mescalimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004   #10
Check out this link. not very positive.

zhensley is offline   Reply With Quote