Mountain Buzz banner

Do people really find boating partners on the internet?

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  gh 
#1 ·
I had a buddy invite a dude off the internet on an upper animas trip last year, and man I tell you, what a retard he ended up being. So my question is have any of you ever found a worthy boating partner off the internet, and secondly I would caution folks when they do. Just because someone says they can boat on the internet dosnt mean they can so be careful.

#3 ·
That's how I found your mom!! Seriously all jokes aside, I met a couple of guys last year by posting on the buzz looking for a boating partner who are good guys. I hope to paddle with them again this year once the water gets rolling.

I'll paddle with anyone at least once. I wouldn't post on the buzz looking for a partner on a multi-day trip or something harder than class 4, but for one day on a class 3/4 river, yeah I'll post looking for someone to boat with.

Chris

#7 ·
I've had no problems, but I do it only for day runs class IV- or easier. It's fun meeting people who you wouldn't otherwise cross paths with.

For class IV+ runs or above, you want to be careful because you rely on your partner for safety.

You can also just go to the takeout or putin for a popular run and ask join up with others. That gives you a chance to give them a once-over before joining them.

It seems most kayakers are not total screwballs. How can you mess up a good day on the river?

The worst thing that can happen is you end up rescuing someone repeatedly. But, that's comes with the risk of joining others. If you agree to have them in your group, you've got to look out for them even if they don't belong there. I see it is a contract, like it or not, you signed on once you agree to boat with them.

#10 ·
You know. I'm a little bit country, and a little bit rock n roll.
Just kidding. My wicked gay roomate (not that there's anything wrong with that) hijacked my computer to put the Tom Cruise picture on there, and wrote this message. Although I personally think that the Tom Tom pic is schweet. [/quote]

#11 ·
Fuckin A right that picture is sweet. My buddy greenie and I took this douchbag down lower clear creek a few years ago. Greenie met him on the buzz. We scouted screamin quarter and this guys is like I don't need to scout anything. The whole way down he is padding his ass off. The flow was moderate and he was gripped. We hit screaming q8tr and he is done. He got his boat pinned on that big ass rock center right. He flushed under a tree and as we got him out all he was worried about was his busted ass Freakenstein. The fire dept got his boat off a few days later that bitch wasn't moving. Oh well it kinda funny now.

#14 ·
You refering to greenie that moved to MT then to CA? If so, I boated with him up here a bit. Great stuff.

I've met a couple of great paddling pards on the I net. Usually work up to harder water so that I know what to expect, that's all.

I know of a nightmare story of a Mid Fork of Sal trip with an internet meetup, though.

#16 ·
on the net

SJ, sorry I didn't hook up with you guys to boat. Got sun burnt to hell the day before finishing up a home project. Back yards done now I should be done for the summer. Hope to get out there soon.

I hope the net is a good place to meet paddling partners. It's all I got for my crazy hours.

-D

#18 ·
It's worked for me. I managed to hook up with a solid, cool boater at Bailey last weekend. I plan on finding someone else to show me down Lower South Boulder as soon as it's ready! Just talk to the person before hand and find out their experience. If someone you found on the net just wanted to ride in a raft and paddle or somethin, then I'd say you might have a gaper on your hands.

#19 ·
I found a boater for yesterday. We were going to run Bailey then switched over to Pine Creek/Numbers. Since I had been sick all week I was clearly the weak link. But between BKC and I we only had one roll The entire day (it was a bit cool).

I moved here three years ago with extensive paddling experience elsewhere. I have also joined the Pikes Peak White Water Club. I have only found someone in the club willing to try something challenging once.

I decided this year I would have to look elsewhere when I want to push myself. (I do have my eye on a couple of the club members). The one time I have looked for paddlers on this forum it worked great. I will definately try again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.