Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-28-2006   #1
Do people really find boating partners on the internet?

I had a buddy invite a dude off the internet on an upper animas trip last year, and man I tell you, what a retard he ended up being. So my question is have any of you ever found a worthy boating partner off the internet, and secondly I would caution folks when they do. Just because someone says they can boat on the internet dosnt mean they can so be careful.

Granpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #2
Seattle, Washington
This has gotta be a troll.

Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #3
That's how I found your mom!! Seriously all jokes aside, I met a couple of guys last year by posting on the buzz looking for a boating partner who are good guys. I hope to paddle with them again this year once the water gets rolling.

I'll paddle with anyone at least once. I wouldn't post on the buzz looking for a partner on a multi-day trip or something harder than class 4, but for one day on a class 3/4 river, yeah I'll post looking for someone to boat with.

parttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #4
I have had good and bad. Had a real good time today with gunclub on Foxton. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #5
Web Developer/Programmer
pretty funny story on BT. Don't know if they met on the internet but still a multi day trip with strangers can turn out weird.

link to the story:
Damn I Look Good.
l-dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #6
Ahh I meant gunshow and I agree with partime. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #7
I've had no problems, but I do it only for day runs class IV- or easier. It's fun meeting people who you wouldn't otherwise cross paths with.

For class IV+ runs or above, you want to be careful because you rely on your partner for safety.

You can also just go to the takeout or putin for a popular run and ask join up with others. That gives you a chance to give them a once-over before joining them.

It seems most kayakers are not total screwballs. How can you mess up a good day on the river?

The worst thing that can happen is you end up rescuing someone repeatedly. But, that's comes with the risk of joining others. If you agree to have them in your group, you've got to look out for them even if they don't belong there. I see it is a contract, like it or not, you signed on once you agree to boat with them.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I found my best freind, my girfriend and my boyfreind on the buzz. I have also found paddling buds too.
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #9
pnw, Washington
what exactly does that mean? girlfriend and boyfriend?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
You know. I'm a little bit country, and a little bit rock n roll.
Just kidding. My wicked gay roomate (not that there's anything wrong with that) hijacked my computer to put the Tom Cruise picture on there, and wrote this message. Although I personally think that the Tom Tom pic is schweet. [/quote]

CGM is offline   Reply With Quote