Old 05-25-2008   #1
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to Ricohone
Do old kayaks go bad? Or old Kayaker's

Hey all,
My daughter and I are taking our first kayak lessons next weekend. We are both very much looking forward to learning this sport. .
I just moved to Steamboat Springs this year, and it is my first summer here.

Please drop me a note if you would be interested in paddling with me, and my daughter. We are really looking forward to meeting people to paddle with.

Question is, Should we be worried about buying older kayaks?

I am looking at some five, and ten, year old boats. Good prices for these kayaks.
I really can not afford to buy a new boat. I am putting one kid thru college, and spend the rest seeing how much I can put Alison in to a nice kayak with all the gear.

Looks likes a great deal on a Pyranah 221, 200 dollars and looks to be in great shape, but it is five years old. Would this be a good buy for me and the kid?

Thanks in advance any and all help and opinions,
Jonathan, Ricohone

Ricohone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #2
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Hi there,

I'm not familiar with the 221 but that doesn't mean much. Anytime you can pick up a boat for under 250 which isn't cracked its probrably OK. You might wan't to keep your eyes open for older playboats like the Wavesport X, Y, EZ and Big EZ. These are good options because they will allow you to progress and they are also really forgiving. With some older designs without flat hulls you won't be able to surf and play much. With that said its my belief that with any boat at least you'll be gettin wet and kayakin.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
You're probably looking at one of the Pyranha Inazone's or Prozones (220 or 222). They're great boats and the same generation as the Wavesports mentioned above. It would be an excellent river-play boat to learn in.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Send a message via AIM to david23
I wouldn't worry too much about buying a five or ten year old boat, but you should take a good look at it all the same.

-You want to look for sun bleaching, fading, and other signs that the boat has been left out in the sun when the owner decided kayaking wasn't for them.

-Take a look at the hull. While it's less of an issue today, five or ten year old boats sometimes have issues with "oil canning", when the hull becomes somewhat concave. A lot of people claim this can be fixed by leaving your boat out in the sun for a day or two; I don't know, it's never been an issue for me.

-Take a look at the outfitting: is there a seat? Bulkhead (foot rest thingy)? Backband? Are the pillars there? You don't want to pay $200 for a boat and then another $150 or more to make it usable. The pillars are especially important, as they are an important part of the kayak's structural integrity.

Have fun! Remember to take it slow, especially with your daughter. It's better to take it slow and do harder maneuvers in easier water than get in over your head. Enjoy your new sport.

david23 is offline   Reply With Quote