Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-07-2011   #31
Originally Posted by thecraw View Post

Nathan, the AW gauge that says "Lake Estes to Drake" is apparently reading the flow gauge from what is dumping into the Lake, not what is heading down run. According to DWR, that is now 905 cfs and if so, is the top 3 best whitewater runs in the state at the moment. (Disclaimer: for those up for something monstrous). I could be wrong here, but Ian (deepsouthpaddler) told me that indeed it was well over 800 yesterday.
The "Drake to Canyon Mouth" appears to be reading the gauge from "Big Thompson in Loveland". At least according to the DWR, they are the exact same gauge reading at the moment (10 cfs). Which also sounds hugely fishy...
I should clarify that in my post I was referring to the dwr website (Division) where the gauge for Big T below Lake Estes is the right one for the section. Personally, I don't use AW for streamflows becuase they are so incomplete, which is a part of the reason they have not been updated is people have to let them know what is wrong.

I would also agree that someone expecting 350 could be in trouble quickly in there at 900. Some NC guys we ran into this weekend had just got off Gilman and the AW gauge said it was low and they had 800 cfs. Being from NC they just trusted AW and got a surprise.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #32
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by foamdweller View Post
I didn't realize I would cause a stir for suggesting someone was asking a n00b type question. I figured we are all experienced enough. My apologies. Spelling n00b with numbers is a web developer thing, not meant in any derogatory way; just an old-fashioned nudge. I will give you all beers when we meet on the water (G'night ale, oskar blues brewery, ofc). Be safe and have fun!
Its not that you called someone a n00b, its more WHO you called a n00b. Craw has been around this website and kayaking long enough not to worry about your post. People are just dogging him, dont worry about it.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #33
Some thoughts on using online gage information.

1. Be thankful it is available, instead of having to call a hotline number or just guess.
2. AW, Eddyflower, etc. are nice but are only as good as the info provided by the boating public as to which gages to use, runnable levels, etc. If you want them to be accurate, become a streamkeeper for your local runs and fix the information for your runs. Also, particularly on AW, always check the time stamp on reading. Sometimes there are bugs in the system and the flow reading might be one or more days old.
3. Personally, I go straight to the source websites (USGS, DWR, etc.) to make sure I can the most up-to-date info - go to the individual gage page. Even then you have to check the time-stamp to make sure the reading is current.
4. Take river level predictions from AHPS with a grain of salt. Nice to have an idea of likely flows a few days out, but definitely a large margin of error.
5. If you a smart phone, RiverFlows is a great app that allows you to custom select the gages you want to regularly check and pulls the info straight from the source sites.

"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote