Old 04-11-2008   #51
Send a message via AIM to xkayaker13
The fact that you can snowmobile in Yellowstone but not kayak, is absolutely ridiculous. The black canyon of the Yellowstone looks like an amazing run.

xkayaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #52
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to kevintee
Originally Posted by IkayakNboard View Post

"A 2006 report by MIT, that took into account the use of Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS), concluded that it would be affordable to generate 100 GWe (gigawatts of electricity) or the United States alone, for a maximum investment of 1 billion US dollars in research and development over 15 years.[11]
The MIT report calculated the world's total EGS resources to be over 13,000 ZJ. Of these, over 200 ZJ would be extractable, with the potential to increase this to over 2,000 ZJ with technology improvements - sufficient to provide all the world's energy needs for several millennia."
Get your power from wherever you want but we still need resevoirs. Solar will be cheap enough in the next decade but you will still see the dams out there. Currently Solar technology can produce 1 KWh (kilowatt hour) of electricity for about 12cents, compared to coal which is about 3-4 cents. Give them some time and they will come up with a more efficient design and our woes will be gone as far as energy is concerned.

University of Denver Kayak Club
Got a boat or gear to get rid of? PM me and donate!
kevintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008   #53
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Plenty of space in the USA. Water is just concentrated in other areas.

Originally Posted by IkayakNboard View Post
There is nowhere to go in the US.
There are plenty of places to go in the US that have more than enough water, perhaps not for all of us at our current consumption, but that can decrease (and will).

I only assume my stay in CO is temporary, mainly due to water issues. Once I have to start fighting the rest of you for a drink, I will leave and go where resources are plenty.

Send me a PM, I have plenty of land in the US you can buy, drill (or hand dig) a well and pump water all you want - legally.

Not trying to agitate - just remember the SW and it's water issues are local, the country is pretty dam(n) big. Plenty of places to go...

Dams are good and bad just like most things in this world. Good for the ability to drink, get power, water crops, schedule boating, naming bars/eateries and keeping the masses at peace. Bad for the envronmental impacts, the lack of overall equilibrium and the false sense of security that leads to overuse/overpopulating. I think we all really know this.

Much more I would love to respond to, but I had trouble hearing all of it due to those high horses.

Folks that really, really hate dams can protest by growing all their own food using natural precipitation, by never boating a dam(n)ed river again and (most of all) by not having children. Otherwise, just focus on good micro decisions in life, keep moving forward and keep debating with open minds.

Drink up...Paddle hard...while you can....
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008   #54
Gunnison, Colorado
From a purely selfish standpoint and ignoring the larger global issues, I can think of a couple good things that I get from dams. 1. All summer boating. (My hometown is in Pagosa Springs. The San Juan's a fun river, but it goes just about dry by late June, early July on a good year. I'm glad it's not damed, but that is a drawback.) 2. M-wave (doubt anything close to it would be possible in a natural river.) I'm all for the whole sustainability thing and not wasting water, but there are a billion different aspects to daming so I figure I might as well enjoy paddling wherever there's water, which is usually under a dam. But hey, as long as we're ranting about everyone else who wastes's kinda tough to realize that, on average, golf courses use 300,000 gallons a day. I think colorado has about 250-300 courses. I would try to do the math for that, but it scares me too much--the math and the wasted water. I guess some golfer will argue it's not wasted and blah, blah, blah, but still..
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #55
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Poudre #3 threatened river per AR

Interesting bit I just heard this on the drive in this AM--American Rivers just named the Poudre as the #3 threatened river in the US due to the Glade Reservoir proposal:

American Rivers: 2008 Most Endangered Rivers

America's Most Endangered Rivers
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008   #56
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by xkayaker13 View Post
The fact that you can snowmobile in Yellowstone but not kayak, is absolutely ridiculous. The black canyon of the Yellowstone looks like an amazing run.

people still run the black even though it is illegal

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote