Old 06-09-2009   #1
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Discontinued Gages on North Saint Vrain

Was at the Black Bear Hole on Friday afternoon getting ready for a run, there was a bunch of boaters in the parking lot and playing in the hole.

A Division of Water Resources truck pulled into the lot, the gentleman got out and came directly over to a couple of us. He asked us about the flows and made some small talk - real nice guy.

He then brought up the discontinued gauge below Buttonrock (sp) and asked if this impacted us. He said he had gotten a bunch of calls from one boater saying it was impacting many people - but no one else had engaged him.

Obviously I asked if a simple increase in volume of calls to his office would allow them to turn the gage back on and he said no, it was a contract deal, the contract is up and there is no funding for that gauge. He acknowledged their primary concern was not recreation, but that they do try and offer solutions to help everyone that needs accurate water readings.

He made it sound like it would be very simple for them to add(maybe just reactivate) the guage below buttonrock that would account for all the outflow besides what spills on the North fork, but needed to be funded by someone. He asked if kayakers were an organzied group and wanted to fund something like that. Don't quote me but I think he said around a couple hundred dollars per month, and that they can turn it on/off for specific months only if wanted.

Just wanted to pass this along in case the town of Lyons, CW, AW, or maybe even enough local boaters wanted to see if this was feasible or worth it. I have his card with all his contact information and will pass it along to anyone who wants it. Since he was a nice guy, actually engaged us, I dont want to post all his work information on the main forum and have it used in the wrong way (not that it would), but PM me and will send it all to appropriate parties.

For what its worth......

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Shouldn't they know what is being released through the dam? In which case why have a gage? Can they just make the dam release public?

The town of Lyons may be interested as good flows attract kayakers who bring tax $$.

GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Great stuff freakme...

Please keep that handy. I will speak with the town about this.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009   #4
Hmmm, I wonder who the boater was that kept calling all the time. The gauge is is located at the "pour over" or little spill way before Shelly's Cottages. You should of asked how to reactivate because its still there. The town of Lyons could easily justify the $200/mo because a lot of people want to know the water flow on that section to decide whether or not to drive up to Lyons. And this isn't just for boaters, fisherman and tubers probably would like to know as well and this brings business to the town. Friggin idiots in there I'm tellin ya.
papawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote