Old 04-15-2011   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dirty Devil TR

I know there will be a million opinions out there, but thought this might help people in the future looking to run the Dirty Devil.

Sunday, April 10th:

I moved gear down Lower Sand Slide while a car was dropped off at Lake Powell. Lower Sand Slide is a hike, but . . . I took a kid's sled and got down two inflatables, camping gear, 24 cans of beer, food, etc. in three trips. (About 600' elevation loss/gain and about 3/4 of a mile). I would not say it was too bad.
Meanwhile, husband ran shuttle and then hiked down to meet me.

We put on about 2 pm and the flow according to USGS at Poison Springs was 150 cfs.

It was not fun getting to Angel Point/Beaver Creek where we pulled over for the night.

Monday, April 11th. Flow varied from 120 to 110 cfs.
We struggled a lot!!! Not fun!!! Lots and lots of trying to find the channel (it's so muddy you can't tell and end up getting stuck on sand bars and dragging your boat a lot). Eventually made it to Twin Box Canyon for camping.

Tuesday, April 12th. Flow varied from 100 to 90 cfs.
Still struggled quite a bit, but there was more floating and more gradient loss and less dragging. A few class II rapids. Happy Canyon was awesome. We took out at Poison Springs Wash. We hiked up the road about 4 miles (left the gear at the take out) and camped for the night.

Wednesday, April 13th. Hiked the rest of the way to I-95. Hitched a ride to get the car at Lake Powell. Drove back down to get our stuff.

A few comments -

I think (from what I've read of the upper section - Hanksville to Lower Sand Slide) putting in at Lower Sand Slide is the way to go.

I would never, ever, do the section from Lower Sand Slide to Twin Box with less than 200 cfs. but I really think to float it, and not drag your boat, you need more like 300 cfs. (I would consider doing from Poison Wash Down if there was more than 200 cfs - it sounds like it is more channelized).

The scenery is great and I'm sure the hiking would be awesome, but if there isn't plenty of water, you'll be stressed about finding the channel and making river miles.

Let me know if you have questions.

suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011   #2
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Thanks for posting a report. Having firsthand beta saves a lot of guesswork and anxiety.

If you're ever headed for the North Platte, send me a PM and maybe we can boat together.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #3
Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1986
Yes, I agree with Chip. The post was very helpful.
Canu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #4
Tacoma, Washington
Paddling Since: 1977
There is access maybe 5 miles below Hanksville. It was very similar in terms of dragging as the rest of the river. I did it between 25 and 50 cfs, walking 75% of the river, barefoot on sand - dragging across sand bars every 100 yards or so. These levels are typical year round. I took two weeks and could've had more for the side canyons. With a nicely loaded open canoe it was very enjoyable.
DLTooley is offline   Reply With Quote