Old 08-27-2011   #1
missoula, montucky
Paddling Since: 1993
Dilemma, anybody got a coupla cents?

Howdy friends,
So here's my dilemma; we're looking to upsize our craft from a 13' to a 14'.

I found a great deal on a 2004 7'x14' nrs e-series. Good shape, 3 thwarts, no warranty transference, made in mexico. Glued Hypalon.

I have also been intrigued with the new Rocky Mountain Rafts. I found one of their 6'10"x13'9" brand new for just under $2000. Made in China, 5 year warranty, 2 thwarts included. Welded PVC.

both have 20" tubes, neither comes with any other gear.
I'm gonna go with one of these two, can't afford a new maravia/sotar/aire sadly. Thoughts/feelings/emotions???

mtnkasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #2
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991

Just read your post. I wanted to share another way to look at this. If you purchase a low level boat, you end up replacing it sooner and they just aren't the quality the Wing, Sotars, Moravia's etc,etc are.

Ive had my Wings Sotars and Moravia's since 1991/93 they are used hard every summer and are still in great shape. Thinking out loud here, but if your into whitewater buy the best gear you can, in the end you will save money.

The best boats in the world are built right here in America, please consider supporting the community/businesses that supports our white water sport.

Dirk Williams

Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #3
Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Buy American-You can.

You buy cheap, you get cheap.

Before you drop in on a new boat made in Mexico or China you should take a look at what kind of fall deals are out there. NRS/Mnt Buzz gear swap and craigslist are good places to look for used gear.

SOTAR has their fall sale coming up: 20% off their boats plus, if you pay with a cashiers check on time, you get an extra 2% off-so 22% off a sweet boat made here in the U.S.-by boaters, for boaters. They also have a "Hotsheet" on their web-site with deals on boats.

Aire also makes high quality boats-like SOTAR, the company is owned and operated by people who love to boat. I got a great deal on an Aire cat years ago from 4-Corners River Sports during the off-season.

-Not sure if Maravias can be found new-on sale, but give Cascade Outfitters a call and see what they'll do-or go direct and call Maravia.

This time of year, there are deals out there-good luck
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #4
welch, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1976
I know it is tempting to buy cheap but as early stated you get what you pay for I have 6 rafts all made in US and I am total content . The service you will get is incredible . I have 2 jacks plastic's One Older Moumentum , a 143 aire, Hyside paddle cat and a 20 ft miravia . [I think they are all made in US]. aNY WAY LOOK ON THE MT BUZZ AND nrs GEAR SWAP AND YOU WILL FIND A HIGH QUALITY RAFT WORTH THE MONEY didn' mean to yell.
Good luck
ranchman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The NRS E-Series rafts are proven durable and long lasting hypalon boats. You didn't mention how much the deal is for this boat. Was it used/abused commercially? Does it have a lot of wear on it? What condition are the D-rings in? I've guided NRS expedition boats before and they are solid boats. Hypalon boats also rolls up smaller, and tolerates being rolled better than PVC.

I don't know a lot about Rocky Mountain rafts. The thread about them earlier in the year had good things to say. And while the boat is made in China, at least the company is here in Colorado, and the owner is a former Air Force F-16 pilot. The thread mentioned that they are bomber, but a bit heavy and that they roll big even for a PVC boat.

The price and condition of the NRS and your intentions about rolling or trailering and storing the boat partially inflated (better for PVC) would be key factors for me.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote