Old 12-29-2005   #1
Digital Cameras

Looking for a quality digital camera for whitewater photography. I have been looking at the Digital Rebel XT. any others you would recommend?

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #2
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Nikon D70

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #3
Just got a waterproof point and shoot that is super sweet. I don't know if you all have had the same problems I have with Cameras. I have destroyed a Cannon GL-1 video camera with water damage, and a Minolta Dynax SLR that was super nice. Freaking Pelican Cases and Watershed drybags are sweet but not 100% reliable after heavy use.

Just got a Pentax Optio wpi that is 6.0 megapixels and 3X optical zoom. A sweet camera for someone who is fed up with taking time to set up shots. Pull your sprayskirt, open a small dry box in between your legs and take a picture!

Old 12-29-2005   #4
I too just got the Optio wpi 6.0. NIce, small and handy. But gosh, is it just me or is the menu and selection process overly complex? Seems like there are "500" different functions controlled by 7 buttons and not in a very intuitive way, either.
grungeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #5
Boulder, Colorado
I recently bought a nice Sony plus the waterproof case. I think I could take it scuba diving if I had the equipment and knew how to scuba dive. I like it because the only reason to ever take it out of the box on the river would be to change batteries or memory sticks, and that would only be on a long trip. Out of the case, it's a nice, small camera that you can use anywhere.

I haven't taken it kayaking yet but a friend of mine has a similar setup with a Canon and seems quite happy with it. I did take it on a week long Labyrinth Canyon trip and it did great.
dwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #6
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Another vote for Sony. I bought the 5.1 megapixel digi this summer, and the waterproof diving case, and i have been very impressed with the picture quality and ease of use. takes cool POV pix from in or underwater, and short videos.they also have a large view screen on the back, and are small and lightweight. a couple friends plus the salespeoples at best buy all recommended sony as the best cameras (at least for the wallet sized point and shoot variety) for the money.
only drawback is the total including all the add ons (1gig memory stick, diving case, extra memory stick and batteries for roadtrips) is @ $700-800.00. at that price you could almost get a much fancier camera.... but not one that goes underwater!!! just be careful of the gasket on the case. if it gets dirty or falls apart, its no longer a good seal, and that could get expensive quick, depending on how long it is before you notice.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #7
pnw, Washington
If you want SLR, you cant go wrong with the rebel xt or the d70
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005   #8
I have an old Optio wpi which spent all of last season creeking in my lifejacket pocket, and it is still working fine. great pictures too.
gnarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #9
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Optios are cheap enough ($300) that you won't totally freak out if you lose it or break it. It takes great pictures and web-capable video, and it's small enough to fit in your pfd. Extra batteries are cheap as well.

I've had mine through the past season and I've been happy with it. I don't think I would spend $600 on something I might accidently drop in the water, ya know?
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #10
Boulder, Colorado
I don't want to add up how much I spent on my Sony because I don't want to know, but it was much less than $700-800. Mine's 7 megapixels and I took a ton of great shots on my weeklong Labyrinth trip, with a lot of the pictures being redundant. At the end of the week my 512MB memory stick was full, although I did have a backup with me. Most of the shots were at lower resolution (maybe 3MP, I forget), but they all look great on my computer and whenever I had a great shot I maxed out the resolution. It also takes AA batteries and came with 2 rechargables and a charger. The camera was about $330 and the case was about $130.

The only trouble I had is that the case does make it hard to see the viewfinder, especially in daylight and through all the muddy sand of a river trip. That's why I took a lot of redundant pictures. I was very insistent that the case never be opened on the trip unless it was to change batteries or memory. I was afraid sand would get in and break the seal.

dwk is offline   Reply With Quote