Old 12-30-2005   #11
D70's are really good and the current models are the D70 and the D70S. There isn't much difference between the two of them. For more info on either of these cameras you can go to . From there you can check out any of Nikon's digitals.

(Sorry, I live with photographers)

confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005   #12
I currently use a pentax optio 33wr 3.2 megapixel, which takes decent pictures. I have carried it in my pfd pocket for almost 2 years and it's held up great, never leaked. I've been looking to upgrade to the optio wpi 6 megapixel. Here's the cheapest price @ $226 I've found for it if anyone's interested:
If it's anything like it's predecessor, it'll pretty a bomber design, just make sure there's no water drops or fog on the lens when you take a pic. I use a little piece of one of those synthetic chamois drying cloth thingies to wipe my lens before I take a pic, works well.

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005   #13
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I have an olympus model (the Stylus line is great).... Its only 5 megapixel But I love it. First is water resistant which means that you can take pictures with wet hands so no need to dry off. Second it is small so you can put it in the smallest pelican case and stuff it in the front pocket of your life jacket. what this adds up to is being able to shoot from your boat, without having to get out, unpack, dry off, repack, and get back in. It has little latency plus is has a sequential mode anyway that will take up to 5 shots. It also shoots video that is comperable to an old vhs video camera. With a 1 gig card you could take 100 pics and shoot 25 minutes of video.

Ofcource it will not compare to an SLR but when you factor in the versatility and convenience it is a great toy.

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006   #14
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
If you go with a D-SLR, the Rebel XT is the best in its class and Canon consumer/prosumer gear tends to be more reliable than that from Nikon. What I'd really recommend is the magnesium-bodied Canon 20D, with much better manual/auto control options, faster, tougher. But, then, I'm a professional photojournalist and am spoiled with my Canon 1D, so the 20D would be the only acceptable lower-cost camera to me. For most people, the responsiveness, image quality, and features of a Rebel XT would be simply awesome, if not overkill. If you seek more control and will end up eventually spending most camera gear on important lenses eventually anyhow, invest in the 20D.
If you're freaking rich or wanna go pro, get the Pentax OptioWPi and then this fine piece of ballast:
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #15
Amsterdam, Netherlands
got an optio 4 meg and it's great. takes good but not awsome vid too. the newer versions are water proof which means you can take pictures not only with wet hands but completly under water. it's the cheapest way to go and you don't have all the extra sh!t to buy (like a case). fyi- you gotta get the rechargable batteries or else you'll spend a fortune replacing batteries all the time. -trev
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006   #16
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
from a guy that brought his 10d down the river 50 or so times last season, I'd have to say the 10d, 20d, or soon to exist 30d are all good choices.

Mine's been wet, dropped, overused & undermaintained, & has NO dead pixels or other problems!

Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006   #17
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Good point in mentioning the upcoming 30D (or whatever they call it) ... should be very soon (within 3 months?). A D-SLR is a med/longterm investment, so best to be patient and choose wisely
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006   #18
Does anyone have experience with the Canon PowerShot SD400?

In terms of size, price, shutter speed, and movie capabilities, it seems to meet my needs. I've seen lots of positive reviews, but I've seen enough negative reviews to make me wonder...seems it might not be so durable? A cracked LCD is the most common complaint. I'm guessing that the majority of the people who write on-line reviews are the ones who are not satisfied, so I don't know how seriously to take them.
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006   #19
Denver, Colorado
If you are looking for a waterproof camera for cheap, pick up a Sony DSC-U60. I don't think they are making them anymore, but last saw them for under $200. No zoom and only 2mpix, but can be carabinered to your PFD, takes a quality picture...

...and is pretty rugged. If you can find one, it's a simple point and shoot that turns on in less than 2 seconds. Mine broke and I'll probably upgrade to the new Optio WPi.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006   #20
Hey Thatguy...

Thanks for the head's up on the Optio at Broadway Photo! I ended up going with them, and it was considerably cheaper than anything else I found on the web. REALLY nice little camera! I just took it to Mexico, and it was so nice to be able to just put it in the pocket of my pfd and not worry about it.

If anyone does buy this camera from them, it's worth doing the package upgrade because you get 2 long-life batteries out of it. The battery that comes with the camera is pretty crappy. Also, make sure you get high speed memory, because even though the camera has a fast shutter speed, you'll still get a 2-3 second delay if you just use regular speed memory. A little expensive, but definitely worth it.

I need to attach a chunk of foam to the camera for boating's waterproof, but unfortunately it doesn't float!

holley is offline   Reply With Quote