Old 06-11-2004   #1
Did We Miss Our Chance?

This was supposed to be our year to check out Northgate. We were planning tomorrow, but this a.m. the flow is 540 something. Is this too low? What's the lowest flow it can be done at?

We'd be interested in the lower sections of the Encampment if the Platte was out. Don't want anything over class III. Is this a reality? If so, where's the best place to put in for this type of run? Would we boat to Treasure Island, or could you take out earlier?

MaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #2
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Hey MJ,

Northgate is totally doable at this level. I've run it in a raft at under 300 I think. The cowpie to narrow falls section will just be a little more technical than pushy. Stove pipe should be fun.

I'd put in at the standard Launch site and take out just after stove pipe on river left (man that hill sucks). I think the takeout is in WY and is called six mile gap.

Rioter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004   #3
We ran northgate on tuesday at 750 and while although interesting I thought there was way too much flat water for my liking, but you could definetly float it at 500. Narrow falls and all the other rapids will be much more technical rock dodging than anything big or scary. We put in at the routt launch and took out at six mile gap, the hike out is a little over a 1/4 mile and uphill, but not too bad. A guy in our group did the lower sections of the encampment a few days earlier and said that none of the rapids were major, but because of the tight windy nature of the river there was a fair amount of wood in the outsides of the corners and he said it was tough to manuever, but he was also in a cat raft. If you were kayaking I would say either run would be good to go, if in a raft I would seriously think about something else.

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #4
Thanks guys, your replies help a lot. Our guides for Saturday's Northgate trip opted for more water down south. Friday we did hike up the Encampment about 2 miles. I gotta get me one of those kayak backpacks, it looked like a fun little run for our skill levels if I could carry my boat that far, or further. The weather was nasty, snowing and windy, so WE opted for Saratoga Inn and hot springs.

Tomorrow our friends are taking us on Bridges for the first time. It seems like a good level and our friend has a WW Rescue cert. They also know it very well, so it sounds like optimal conditions for the first time. (She nervously phyches herself up )

Thanks again,
MaryJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004   #5
Northgate should come back up some--cold

Poudre as well was really going last week cause it was hot. Got pretty cold up high last few days and flows dropped everywhere from highs. Should come back up --probably briefly--with next heat.
danab is offline   Reply With Quote