Old 09-05-2006   #1
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Diamond Down beta

Does anyone have a good description of the Grand below Diamond Creek?
Where is the take out in relation to the current? How is the camping?
__________________ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I don't know what Mead is at, but when I did it in Sep/Oct '04, there was current for a day or so below Diamond, I think. Killer Fang Falls is down there - no seriously, that is actually the name. It's a simple drop, just back-ferry hard left and miss the rock fangs, but it might be underwater now if Mead is high enough.

We had a motor, so once the current died, we lashed three rafts together, the kayakers climbed on, and we putted down the river until the lake, which is very big and it was nice to not work on the way to South Cove and drink warm beer instead.

I would say it's all mellow for the most part. There are some small, non-big water type of class II and III drops in there; it's nothing significant.

The camping is the lame part. It's not all that exciting to camp on a mud flat, but it still beats being back home. Watch out for scorpions on the mud flats, esp. in the morning. We found lots tucked under one guy's boat, and they were the centruroides (pale ones) with the nastier sting.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006   #3
I have camped two nights below Diamond and then had dinner at seperation canyon, tied everything together and floated out through the night. I have done it three times that way and thought it was great. The first nights camp is pretty cool with some nice hikes. I do not remember the name but it is on river left at a slot canyon. Night two was not as good but not a mud flat. There is no play just big wave trains except killer fang falls, which a couple of pointy rocks. I have had current all the way and I have woken up pretty close to seperation. Either way sleeping on the floating boats is just to much fun to miss.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks guys,
Sounds like it probably isn't worth driving past Cat just to float onto a different lake. is online now   Reply With Quote