Old 06-15-2011   #21
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Shit happens but like the river we must move on and keep on going. stay strong man best wishs

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Good luck Ken!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #23
get well brother

Best wishes healing up Buddy. Looks like a brutal injury. Make sure you make it down to The Embudo next Spring for the Budo Fest. I would love for you and Crow to do a music jam for the Fest.. Beers, Atom...

Originally Posted by deepstroke View Post
Hey, thanks for all the support everyone! Just had the surgery yesterday and it went well, despite it going to plan B. Plan A was to join the kneecap back with a wire tension cage, but as it turned out, the lower, smaller piece was actually several small pieces. Joining the the pieces together was a bad option, so my surgeon removed the lower fragments, drilled three holes in the bottom of the upper kneecap piece and attached the lower ligaments to it. I'm in a brace that we'll slowly start bending after a while. Should be 4 to 6 months to recover. After shooting some photos and gimping around the SSV race last Saturday, I took a look at the accident scene and saw that there is indeed a little flake rock under the water that shot me off course. It made feel a little better, as I've been down on myself for sucking at kayaking, but I can now just see this as shit that happens. I've also considered what might have happened if I had just stayed in my boat, and even with what I'm dealing with now, I think I did the right thing in exiting. Just shit that happens. I'll boat again.
action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #24
Portland, Oregon
Just saw your post. I too broke my knee kayaking. Horizontal break in two pieces, wired together. Just wanted to let you know it does get better and it isn't an issue at all anymore for kayaking, skiing or whatever else I want to do. Good luck and stick with the rehab.

blueskypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #25
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yes. Heal well. Attitude makes the difference.
bzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #26
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Good to hear there were no major complications with the surgery. Best of luck with the recovery Ken. I expect to see lots of roadside kayaking pictures from you this year.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011   #27
Paddling Since: 96
Another good luck. Give your knee the time and rehab it needs to heal.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote