Paddling Since: 1999

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #12
chopsville, mo
Paddling Since: 2007
Bet ya heal fast ken....yur tough as wolf pussy....wes martin

hillmooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #13
That sucks. Do you think some of the damage occurred when you in the boat and you twisted right. From your description of it feeling like your leg came free and your skirt popped is seems like something happened while you were in the boat.

Anyway, here's to a successful surgery and rapid recovery.
"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #14
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Glad your here to share and Ian......fine work sir!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #15
thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Nice solid river skills all the way around.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #16
Paddling Since: 96
Way to deal, good luck with yer knee...
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Really bummed for you Ken. Hoping for a full recovery.

The good samaritan said he was the owner of the lyons laundromat.

Ken broke his kneecap in 1/2 horizontally and the ligaments pulled the top of the kneecap above his knee. The result was a freakshow that looked like a cross between a grapefruit and a knee. Brutal. One of the worst injuries I have seen on the river. I cringe to think about what would happen to someone who go injured like that on a run that wasn't roadside.

I'm pretty sure the injury was from a high speed rock hit in the middle of class V shallow mank.

SSV has been dishing up the beatdowns this year.
deepsouthpaddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #18
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Sorry to hear about the injury, doesn't sound like any fun.
You guys did an outstanding job on dealing with a tough situation, and thankfully you were able to get the assistance of the good samaritan.

Maybe the community can step up and do some laundry at his place during the Lyons games.

Something for all of us to think about when paddling is group size, if this was not a road side run this would have been a much harder rescue.

The ideal group size is 4, this way you have enough people to help in a rescue but more importantly if you need to do an evac or go get help you have enough people. This way you can keep one person with the patient and two people can paddle out to get help, as it is never ideal to have a solo paddler finish a class V run solo while there mind is on their injured buddy.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #19
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Way to keep it together in a shitty situation guys. Its very cool that you got help from a random motorist with the rope rescue, and that more random non-boaters pulled your kayak out downstream...sounds like it could have been much worse. I wish you a speedy recovery from surgery.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011   #20
Hey, thanks for all the support everyone! Just had the surgery yesterday and it went well, despite it going to plan B. Plan A was to join the kneecap back with a wire tension cage, but as it turned out, the lower, smaller piece was actually several small pieces. Joining the the pieces together was a bad option, so my surgeon removed the lower fragments, drilled three holes in the bottom of the upper kneecap piece and attached the lower ligaments to it. I'm in a brace that we'll slowly start bending after a while. Should be 4 to 6 months to recover. After shooting some photos and gimping around the SSV race last Saturday, I took a look at the accident scene and saw that there is indeed a little flake rock under the water that shot me off course. It made feel a little better, as I've been down on myself for sucking at kayaking, but I can now just see this as shit that happens. I've also considered what might have happened if I had just stayed in my boat, and even with what I'm dealing with now, I think I did the right thing in exiting. Just shit that happens. I'll boat again.

Grif for President!
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote