Old 12-11-2009   #1
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Deso logistics info

I know spring/summer is a ways away, I am organizing a Deso trip for late spring and everyone is asking what the preferred shuttle route is. The BLM site says you can go through Nine Mile Canyon and flat tires are very common with 3 hours of dirt roads and 4.5 to 5 hour one way trip from Swasey's Beach. Or you can take US 40 through Duchesne and Myton which is longer but only one hour of dirt. Is the drive through Nine Mile Canyon better, more scenic, cool, does it really take 5 hours? Mapquest says you can get from Green River to Ouray in 3 hours 15 minutes going through Duchesne and Myton. Would you be missing out on some cool sites if you didn't go through Nine Mile Canyon? All that said what is the better route? Thanks.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #2
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Through Myton, it's a much safer trip. You really don't want flat tires on your river days. And safe yourself some trouble and hire a shuttle company. Deso shuttle is a pain, takes too damn long. is a great company, I've used them for years.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
I second RiverRunners Transport. Ed and Melanie are top notch. Used them for years. On a Lodore trip, we had to have a person life flighted out. They went to the takeout, picked up the truck of the husband's who's wife was injured, and met him at Jones Hole so he could get to his wife in Grand Junction. They wanted nothing extra. They just wanted to help and were happy things worked out. We gave them a big tip.
Skyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #4
The Russian
SLC, Utah
I've left 10 bucks in the car as a tip and 30 bucks for gas. I labeled the gas money but forgot to label the tip money for the driver. Sure enough, when I picked up my car at Swasey's, I saw the change from the gas money with a receipt and the 10 bucks that I left for the tip

I was explained by Melanie later that the driver wouldn't take any money unless it's labeled as a tip. I was amazed by the driver's honesty and gave a bigger tip next time.

They shuttle as a convoy to keep all cars together and never exceed the speed limit. I actually saw their vehicles once on hwy 6 and sure enough they were going the speed limit. That was nice to see for myself.
Old 12-11-2009   #5
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Yes riverrunners is great We got a flat and they took it to a shop and had it fixed for us so we would not have to deal with it on the way home. They are very classy people!
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #6
I prefer to fly. We drive our cars to the end and then fly back the morning of the launch. If you have never done the trip it gives a nice view of the river from above and some ideas for areas you would like to camp.
rsmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #7
The Russian
SLC, Utah
I've flown once as well. The view and the ride is nice. The hike down is a bit of a pain. Taking the extra day for the shuttle is a bigger pain IMHO. But I would recommend flying once as well.

Cost wise, you do end up spending a little less per car, but not if you have to stay in a motel overnight.
Old 12-11-2009   #8
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Half the crew drives down and flies back the other half rigs in the morning. I also recommend renting one of the screen huts for the putin night.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #9
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Another vote hiring the shuttle and going w/ RiverRunners. Great company and you don't want to spend an extra day of your vacation driving.

Another vote for going through Myton. I'll take 100 miles of paved highway over 50 miles of that rockshard embedded washboard any day.

If its in the early spring, the skeeters may not be a problem, but if its after the peak, bring the beekeeper suit for the put-in. I actually had a ranger check us out wearing one. She was understandably sick of slathering DEET or some other toxic crap on her entire body every day.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #10
Jenks, Oklahoma
Was up there this summer for a first of June launch.

Skeeters at the put in were every thing and more than I had been told. Where are the bug eating birds etc when you need them!!!!

At the put in, Head nets are a must and the army surplus units worked really well.

When the year end sales hit, I got one of the mesh coat deals for my next outing on Deso Gray. That and some Deet on the hands should make rigging and loading much easier.

Our Trip Leader had rented the top of the hill screen houses and man that made sleeping much easier.

Took us 30 miles to get out of the bug problems, but at 12k cfs it was super easy to make the miles, we were launched by 8 am and easily did the 30 miles with daylight to spare and took a extra layover day. It was a hoot.

My first trip and with the extra bug net suit, I look forward to another hi water run.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote