Old 12-15-2009   #31
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I have no problem getting the permit just seein if its necessary for any reason. Or say you stop on river left for whatever reason are you going to get a big fine etc. Wouldn't camp/hike without the permit.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #32
Salt Lake City, Utah
For the minimal cost of the permit, I would get it. Wind, weather, competition for camps, its just good insurance. The camps aren't as nice.

Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009   #33
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
Try it at 15,000 and it is a different story. A raft flip fest.

I've done Deso at very low water (2000 cfs) and bigger water, 12,000 - 15,000. I much prefer the higher water. I thought it was quite a bit easier at lower flows. Just lots of rocks to hit. Nice big beaches for camping, though. Much, much more exciting at higher flows. We only scouted Joe Hutch. Had a IK in the group that took a big swim in Coal Creek. Got sucked right into the "thunderous" hole. Swam clear to the end. He took another swim in three fords and rattlesnake.

I am planning to do a high water trip this spring. I think it will make the trip even more enjoyable. The low water trip was a good booze cruze. No bugs or wind for that trip and very family friendly. This was mid August. We had 9 kids ages 2-13 on the trip, most under 8. They loved it. Most of us are used to bigger water but all agreed that the trip was well worth while.

The reservation permit is only $25 for the week and well worth it. There were several camps that we stayed in that were very nice with large beaches and cottonwoods. Good hikes also.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #34
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Through Myton, it's a much safer trip. You really don't want flat tires on your river days. And safe yourself some trouble and hire a shuttle company. Deso shuttle is a pain, takes too damn long. "Self-guided, full support river running and white water rafting adventures: safe shuttle services, full or partial support river trips available, and complete, delicious meals are prepared. Whitewater river trips include: Gate of Lodore, Lower Yampa is a great company, I've used them for years.
Getting excited for the river year!
We did the flight this year and the walk down made my quads ache. wasn't used to the steep walk down.

On another thought, because we didn't have the vehicles to throw things in that were overlooked or not needed, they had to be packed and taken down the river with us. I ended up with a duffle of crap on my deck that I would have rather stuffed in the van
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #35
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Which one of you mellow,laid back rafters wants to let me and my gf on their Deso permit? I'll bring the goods. And 18ft of rubber. Mellow as fuck! I'll even clean out the shitter....which i can provide also.....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #36
Summit County, Colorado
I have been down Deso twice, and my husband three times. First trip was in Aug. 2007 - great weather, some wind, minimal bugs, nothing crazy that I remember about the rapids, and no carnage. Second trip was late Aug. into early Sept. 2008. We got engaged at Rock Creek, then hit Joe Hutch the next day. This was soon after it had flashed - it was VERY intimidating, even at those low flows. RIGHT before the rapid as we were pulling over to scout, we hit something in the flat water and it put a 6' tear in the bottom of one of our tubes. Thankfully, we were able to patch it at the scout using one of our Paco pads. My husband rowed through Joe Hutch and I walked it with the dog and one of the coolers. We figured we needed to get some weight off the boat in case he hit one of the sharp boulders. Luckily, he made a clean run through and our patch held for the rest of the trip. We had no other issues. Last year, my husband went just himself and the dog in early Sept. At Rock Creek Ranch he had a bear encounter. The bear was apparently living there and chased him about a mile down-river, until the bear felt that my husband and dog were far enough away. I guess a few days later another group camped there, even after seeing the bear (DUMB!). Someone slept outside and in the middle of the night was bitten in his back by the same bear. They had a hand gun and shot the bear - he was found dead the next morning.

Deso is a GREAT trip, and we have plans to go again this summer after the pups are allowed. I would say definitely scout Joe Hutch, as things are probably still moving and changing. All of the other rapids we've done as read and run, and had great success. Also, be EXTREMELY bear-aware; they are out there and that is their home - respect their land. We also ALWAYS get the reservation permit. You never know when you might have to camp on that side. We never have, but we've done some awesome hikes on that side, so the permit is worth every penny in my opinion. Most importantly: HAVE FUN and enjoy the awesome scenery!!!
summitraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #37
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
A note about the bears- I was told by Skip when he was the ranger there that the book cliffs are a dumping ground for problem bears from other areas. So they are usually wise to people. I don't know if that is still the case- that was back in the last century. I hadn't heard about one being shot by a river trip.

I agree about the Ute permit- especially if you are setting up for rock creek- its nice to camp at log cabin on the left.

The bugs can be baaaad. They will clog up your boat blower intake at the ramp. No kidding. They are worse on high water years- the water gets into the overbank areas and they multiply like biblical pestilences visited upon the unbelievers.

Have Fun!!
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010   #38
Victor, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Shuttle option

I don't know if you've run your trip yet, but I've got an alternative shuttle for you....Stagman. We've used him the last 3 years and he's cheaper than RR. His number is 435-722-2140.

As for the Ute permit, I would get one. It's cheap and we've camp on the left side plenty.

As for bears, we had one come right into our camp at Chandler. It was a young one - probably last year's cub. He wasn't scared of us at all, but was pretty much just interested in going down to the river for a drink and then going on his merry way.

Have a great trip....we launch on the 20th.
99ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #39
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by 99ajax View Post
I don't know if you've run your trip yet, but I've got an alternative shuttle for you....Stagman. We've used him the last 3 years and he's cheaper than RR. His number is 435-722-2140.
He did our shuttle: good guy & excellent service. His website is

If you're coming from the north, you can stop at his house to drop off your keys and inspect the vehicle. He also rents gear.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote